Ceramic coated parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceramic coated parts?

Hi errbody, here's one of my out-of-left-field ideas I'm thinking of trying on the Mrs's GS300. I've read up on the effects of ceramic coating piston tops, combustion chambers, exhaust, etc. I've never heard of anyone coating the cylinder walls with ceramic, though. Only thing I'd worry about is would the coating last on the cylinder walls? I also imagine you'd have lots of fun seating the rings, but once that happened you'd have a lot less friction and more heat barrier to protect the engine. Also, that heat would stay in the combustion and give a more complete burn, upping power and fuel economy.

Anyone tried it?

Originally posted by Ric View Post
    Hi errbody, here's one of my out-of-left-field ideas I'm thinking of trying on the Mrs's GS300. I've read up on the effects of ceramic coating piston tops, combustion chambers, exhaust, etc. I've never heard of anyone coating the cylinder walls with ceramic, though. Only thing I'd worry about is would the coating last on the cylinder walls? I also imagine you'd have lots of fun seating the rings, but once that happened you'd have a lot less friction and more heat barrier to protect the engine. Also, that heat would stay in the combustion and give a more complete burn, upping power and fuel economy.

Anyone tried it?
    Every automotive and motorcycle manufacturer in world has experimented with ceramics and composites of various types and configurations for pistons, cylinders and heads. The dearth of production examples is perhaps instructive.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Cool, thanks! I knew for years that OEMs were coating engine cylinders(Ford in essence nickel-plated their Duratec 4-cylinder walls. They had a life expectancy of 250,000 miles), just didn't know anyone had gone ceramic yet.

Comment

Working...
      X