Looking for Bits!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Bits!!

Straight Cut Gear Set for gs 1100 or 1150 engines, 750 pump gear sets where are you guys buyingn these nowadays ? Im building some 89 mm engines and need some parts thanx Mike

Teamdar has some 750 pump gears.
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

The straight cut gear sets are available in 2 ratios, the 1100 ratio & the 750 ratio. The 1150 ratio was never done in straight cuts. If you are running a slider you need 1100 ratio as the 750 ratio doesn't work with sliders. If you are building a 1640 (89 mm) I recommend the 750 ratio to slow the clutch down to give you a bigger tuning window. That is why the Pro Stock bikes use the 750 ratio. With the 750 ratio you also use less chain because you are about 6 less teeth on the rear sprocket. Call me if you have questions.
      Ray.

Comment

Thanx Ray. I am also looking for some cams , I heard Web Cams aren't very well made like they are soft? Is this true? I used tio get the cam motion cams and never had issues with them. Cant get them anymore. Thanx Mike

Comment

Mike, I deal with Web all the time & have no issues. I used Cam Motion too & have ONE set of brand new G4 cams still in the box. I did have Web copy them though so can still get them made.
          Ray.

Comment

Ray I heard isolated cases of them not being hard? Perhaps other issues? Anyhow you said that 750 ratio is Not good with slider but then said with 89 mm a 750 ratio IS OK. I was just confused regarding this . Perhaps no one used slider clutches in Pro Stock? I would have no idea. Thanx Ray Mike
            If you are running a slider you need 1100 ratio as the 750 ratio doesn't work with sliders. If you are building a 1640 (89 mm) I recommend the 750 ratio to slow the clutch down to give you a bigger tuning window.

Comment

Mike, if you are running a slider the only way to go is the 1100 ratio. If you are running a big motor with a LOCKUP the 750 ratio is the one to use. The 750 ratio doesn't work with sliders. I have both gear sets so let me know if I can help.
              Ray.

Comment

Web Cams are great - They will grind a lobe to your specific app./spec. we just had a pair of sets made for a newer Honda magna 750- try to find those in a catalog --

What kind of clutch system do you plan to use mad mike? big motor needs a big head 31/27 G13 and G7

are you prepared to dump a couple grand plus for the crank and basket -used- or are you looking for NEW? ok, double that. and consider no warranty.

I am not that interested in selling my spares for some great half price sale... however everything has a price... I have 3 big end and 1 small end crank shaft units - 1100 ratio st. gear fresh Pearson builds - big ends= top gas power #6 throw and new mains. - small end should not be built beyond a 12K spinning 1327cc..max... also have a couple st gear baskets. normal and slider.

ask some questions- not all crank work is the same. last (falicon) crank a big time racer around here bought for big money lasted 8 passes - YES LESS THAN 20 MINUTES on a 1640 -- it tore up the head, cases , covers etc.... great $3000 crank investment - not if it ruins 5~8K in other modified engine parts and machine work.

basket gears are all same but there is a difference in the crank gears if you buy one separate from the crank.

running a 89mm bore you are going to want the crank gear with a wedge cut from it so a better weld can be made on the throw or pay to get the wrong one cut.

the first big engine hurts the bank the worst - after that is not so bad . you get numb to the price tag or quit going so fast with a GS engine.

I personally have never used a 750 ratio - the 1100 works good enough for me not to change.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                  I personally have never used a 750 ratio - the 1100 works good enough for me not to change.
                  That's because you have no horsepower!!! LMAO!!!
                  Ray.

Comment

Hi Trip I have a modded 31/27 G13 G7 Paul Gast Pro Head on one engine. It has a modified MTC Block 1500 Pistons yaddah yaddah, My other new engine (I have two brand new engines) is a 1428 with milder G3 cams, its for a street style class but I wish to put more cam in it . It has only one mm oversize intakes exhausts in it. Also have another new head big intakes exhausts and yet one more new head bigger intakes only. I run so far the 1100 ratio in engines. I have a mtc slider on the 1500 and a mtc lockup on the 1428 with standard straight cut 1100 ratios. I am currently making fixtures and just built a new 50 ton press. Im going to do my own cranks, I want them done rightm and sad to say after paying good money for work by so called speed experts Im a bit disgusted hence the do it yourself thing. Also with my background in aerospace and tool room machinist work its fun for me to do. So far my first few have come out well within specs. Anyhow Im looking for some straight cut gears and some camshafts ,Might try some webs? Thanx guys for replies. Ray how fast does youre drag bike go? Like low 7 s or??? Thanx lemme know Im curious thanx Mike

Comment

.425/.425
                      272°/272°
                      248°/248°
                      yo uthink the shorter duration is more desirable? Im thinking so, as engines become more efficient shorter duration cams make more sense. What yo uthink of this statement? Mike

Comment

Originally posted by madmikeracing View Post
                        .425/.425
                        272°/272°
                        248°/248°
                        yo uthink the shorter duration is more desirable? Im thinking so, as engines become more efficient shorter duration cams make more sense. What yo uthink of this statement? Mike
                        Depends, how much compression?
                        Ray.

Comment

Ray as much as I can get. Im going to angle mill the head s and try to get as close as i can . after I mock up everything I can tell better. I try to get them as close and tight as Possible, Minimumn valve piston clearances. Last engine We CC ed had 17.4 . 1 compression and almost 300 psi cranking pressure. It was a monster to start ran on alcohol. Ray what times yo ubeen getting with youre GS based Racers? Thanx Mike

Comment

You need to run more duration with that kind of compression. Short duration cams build more cylinder pressure & work better on lower compression engines. You should try the Web Cams, 240 grind cams, .430 lift & 268 duration @ .050. Are you planning on a Pro Stock crankshaft & 12,000+ rpm or what? Which engine are you asking about for the cams, the street engine or the drag race engine?
                            Ray.
                            Last edited by rapidray; 09-21-2015, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Ray thanx for reply. Pro Stock Crank? isnt that just a properly assembled trued pinned welded GS Crank? I have three brand new Cranks, one has new 493 rods. And also my engines are also fresh cranks in them. The cam shaft thing I do run the G7 ,G13 s in one engine (My 1500 g7 G 13 engine) and my other engine has the G 3 or G 4 s in it I cant recall. I have run some low 9 s with the G3 cam engine its a 1425 with O/S Intakes, I been fooling around with Head Stuff also and am working on my Monster head. Dont know why I still Like the Old gs s but I do, Just bought 2 more 1100 s for the engines. Amazing how the stuff piles up ha ha . There must be some one who has the ideal cam specs for a 1500 engine or maybe it is the g7 g13 combo sure loads of people running them, Ray I dont ride much on the Street with a occasional Drag Bike Run ha ha ,I try to limit that since the Police have a interest in my Motorcycle Hobby it seems. I suffer from a disease where I can only drive my Motorcycle WFO and thats it period. Been rigging the new trailer n, well new to me, Put in 32 feet of T8 Lighting Generator air compressor, Biggest pain in the ass was mounting all the wheel chocks believe it or not. I made some 5 inch square plates and tig welded 1/2-13 nuts to them then degrease and Paint oh also they have 4 holes drilles i nthem for screwing into the under neath floor of the Trailer, so I can just remove the bolts holding the chocks (I have 3 ) and also set for the tow rig) Hence flat floor for other uses like my snowmobiling hobby. I dont scream my engines but I have seen 12,600 on occasion that big block boig bore makes me apprehensive howling them much past 10,000 ,Usually my 12600 is in fifth gear just twisting them out on the back hiways by my shop, This i dont do much anymore since I seemed to have sporadic visits from the Local Constabulary. They are always very nice to me but seem to take a interest in my Motorcycle collection, Its funny how oone day you own one then ,,,next time theres 6 and a xtra 7 engines,!!! Dont know how that happened. Anyhow I appreciate the Help Ray and Info, Thanx Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X