Replacement twist throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement twist throttle

I am in the process of getting my 1980 GS1100E back on the road after a several year hiatus.

One of the last things I needed to deal with was a sticking throttle on return. Plenty of pull from the carbs and a brand spanking new throttle cable (was going to replace anyway since it was original to the bike).

Last thing to check was stickiness of the throttle grip itself. In the process of removing it to lube, I broke the plastic assembly that the throttle cable connects in to (the tube that twists to pull on the cable).

If I want to go aftermarket for that part, what options are there? I see a lot of twist throttle 7/8" kits, but don't know which one will best work with my Suzi.

Thanks!

Was it a "hanging idle"?? I wonder if the throttle was really sticking, but I could be wrong. I'd get a SUZUKI throttle assembly, even a nice used one off EBAY for a few bucks.. then find either the air leak (intakes bad..Intake O-rings bad) or get into the carbs....sync/etc.... my .02 worth
    Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2015, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Nope, not hanging idle. If I remove the throttle cable from the twister, the carb springs snap back quickly and without sticking.

With the cable detached, the grip did not spin smoothly which is what lead me to believe it is the source of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by demark View Post
        Nope, not hanging idle. If I remove the throttle cable from the twister, the carb springs snap back quickly and without sticking.

With the cable detached, the grip did not spin smoothly which is what lead me to believe it is the source of the problem.

This is Good. I would still do eBay since aftermarket throttle housings means rewiring anyway..and all you really need sounds like the tube???

Comment

If you do need a new one, a few people have used throttle tubes off an R1. It has the benefit of a larger internal radius where the cable sits, giving about a 20% increase in throttle response.

That is, you don't have to reposition your hand to go to WOT.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Yeah ... "throttle tube" or "throttle sleeve". That's the name of the thing that I broke. Not surprisingly, knowing that provides much more obvious options when searching. I'm going to look around for the R1 and see what else I can find.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X