Total loss ignition and starter removal on a 1978-750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total loss ignition and starter removal on a 1978-750

Hi wanting to remove all the stuff behind left hand cover and put a flat plate there, run total loss and use kick starter because im scraping the dang thing on track going round left corners at the track. (its a race bike only)
    Is this easy? Making the plate is no problem for me. Wanting to know what to do with electrix. There are three wires coming from the generator what do I do with these at other end? Will it still run? At the moment bike still runs on generator when I disconnect battery.
    Having troubles getting magnet off end of crank, my puller tool not good enough. Looks like I need a 14mm fine bolt to push it off. So I can see exactly what needs to be done.
    Any oil issues? Help here would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2015, 01:13 AM.

"Will it still run? "

Not for long- Maybe two hours on good fully charged battery, long enough? Just tape the wires up. No oil worries unless you don't improvise a skinny stator cover to cover crime scene and keep oil in engine!.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Besides being the magnet part of the generator assembly, that rotor is also part of your flywheel.

I have no idea how much would be affected by removing it, but we do have some racers on the forum that might know.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Firstly, where are you ? CAMS or NZPCR ? What you want to do is all doable. Easier on a 750 too as it can still be kickstarted.
        Are you going to chop the crank end or weld a lump on the cover to sheild it ? If you chop the crank, the central oil gallery should be plugged. Just press in an alloy plug.
        Our 1000 still runs the starter - on a trimmed rotor boss and with a heavily cut back cover. Enough clearance to go hard...
        Either std ignition or aftermarket like a Dyna will be OK total loss for a days racing. We do first start of the day from a car battery but once warm, the on board battery will fire it.

Edit - Ok I know who it is now...daylight saving put me off, lol...Sorry i wasn't at levels to see the 750 debut. You've seen a kickstart bike running total loss with a Dyna last a days racing - Pete Anderson told me you were impressed with the Z1. Std ignition won't draw any more than a Dyna does.
        Last edited by GregT; 09-28-2015, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
          Firstly, where are you ? CAMS or NZPCR ? What you want to do is all doable. Easier on a 750 too as it can still be kickstarted.
          Are you going to chop the crank end or weld a lump on the cover to sheild it ? If you chop the crank, the central oil gallery should be plugged. Just press in an alloy plug.
          Our 1000 still runs the starter - on a trimmed rotor boss and with a heavily cut back cover. Enough clearance to go hard...
          Either std ignition or aftermarket like a Dyna will be OK total loss for a days racing. We do first start of the day from a car battery but once warm, the on board battery will fire it.

Edit - Ok I know who it is now...daylight saving put me off, lol...Sorry i wasn't at levels to see the 750 debut. You've seen a kickstart bike running total loss with a Dyna last a days racing - Pete Anderson told me you were impressed with the Z1. Std ignition won't draw any more than a Dyna does.
          Thanks for the replys.
          And Greg, yes you should have been there, it was a good day. I liked the Z1, im a kawa man myself, my fave bike is my H1 which ive owned for 25years. Pete is a good rider, he can get the old bus round the track great. Faster than me.
          Gonna chop crank (sorry purists) Its holding me back heaps, which takes the fun away.
          I know battery will last OK. even better with points ignition.
          Ive done same to my 89 FZR1000 and that goes all day at track and its got exup motor to run and still has starter motor which I use all day.
          Just thought I would check here on wires and oil implications. Thanks Greg on the blocking crank hole tip. I did figure that when I looked at it though.
          Got flywheel off today. I will stuff a rag down there and cut it off, then pull rag out. All good.
          Will be at ruapuna, bears meet in two weeks. Come introduce yourself if your there.
          Will be on the yellow FZR #71. Suzuki will probably still be in bits, hopefully ready for CAMS the week after.
          Cheers, Steve.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2015, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jizracer View Post
            Thanks for the replys.
            And Greg, yes you should have been there, it was a good day. I liked the Z1, im a kawa man myself, my fave bike is my H1 which ive owned for 25years. Pete is a good rider, he can get the old bus round the track great. Faster than me.
            Gonna chop crank (sorry purists) Its holding me back heaps, which takes the fun away.
            I know battery will last OK. even better with points ignition.
            Ive done same to my 89 FZR1000 and that goes all day at track and its got exup motor to run and still has starter motor which I use all day.
            Just thought I would check here on wires and oil implications. Thanks Greg on the blocking crank hole tip. I did figure that when I looked at it though.
            Got flywheel off today. I will stuff a rag down there and cut it off, then pull rag out. All good.
            Will be at ruapuna, bears meet in two weeks. Come introduce yourself if your there.
            Will be on the yellow FZR #71. Suzuki will probably still be in bits, hopefully ready for CAMS the week after.
            Cheers, Steve.
            Probably won't be at the BEARS meeting but planning to be at the CAMS/BoB one as kev is still sorting the LC prior to the Southern Festival in December. The "A" motor for his GS is coming along too so we'll have to have some track time on that too at some point.

Comment

Working...
            X