79 GS850G brake,motor upgrade questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS850G brake,motor upgrade questions

Just got a 79 gs850g with13,000 miles on it got it running no problem,while serching ebay for stuff I was wondering if the later slotted;drilled rotors will directly swap onto my 79 model,i also noticed that the later bikes used different front calipers.Anyone know if this is a sensable swap,will it improve my braking enough to make wothwhile,i dont want any 6 piston crazy stuff just stock upgrades.
    Also will a gs1000 g motor direcly interchane,will i need to change the rear drive.Is there any other significant differences in gs1000g
    Bob Mulligan in VA.

Slotted rotors and solid rotors are totally interchangeable. No problem there. The solid ones are a bit thicker, but that's no problem.

The later calipers on the 1980 and newer models are also interchangeble. I recommend these stock calipers simply because the pads are widely available on eBay and other sources. There's probably little difference in performance between the two types of calipers.

A GS1000G motor will fit the frame on your 1979 GS850GN; however, you'll need the CV carbs for that engine, as your 850 came with old-style slide carburetors. CV carbs arrived in 1980 on the GS850GT and GS1000GT; the cylinder heads on the 79 and 80 models are different.

In other words, the cylinder head you have on your 850 will not fit the 1000 engine, because the intakes are different. You need a head off a 1980 model in order for the 1000 carbs to fit your engine.

Final drive is the same, or at least perfectly interchangeable.

The 1979 GS850GN was the first shaftie made by Suzuki. It was actually a GS750 with increased capacity to handle the extra weight of the middle gear and shaft and rear end. The 79 had a very weak stator (12 coils), a kickstarter, Neanderthal carbs and points ignition, and solid discs. All these items were changed in 1980 on the 850 (the 1000G came out in 1980 as well), making a much improved motorcycle -- electronic ignition, 18-coil stator, CV carbs, slotted discs, etc.

Hope this helps.

Comment

You also need the drive shaft!

Comment

Thanks for help,CV carb question

Thanks for the tips,would a swap to the later CV carbs be a reasonable swap-what will need to be changed-does the head realy need to be changed?
        Air box and manifolds?
        Thanks for any help!! :roll:

Comment

Airbox is the same. Intake manifolds are also different. The diameter is the difference.

The head must be changed. The stock 1979 GS850 head is unique in the intake tracts; they're narrower. So, you need a head for CV carbs.

The head for a 1980 GS1000G is also different from that on the 1980 GS850G. They both accept the CV carbs.

If your 850 were a 1980, the change to the 1000G engine would be much easier. The 1979 GS850 is a unique animal, the first trial edition, so to speak.

Nick

Comment

850 parts

Not sure if your still looking but i have the following parts for sale:

Front and rear slotted rotors, all calipers and a rear master cylinder including pads from a GS 850 G, 1982 year.

I also have the final drive and drive shaft. If your interested let me know

duane brosky

brosky@comcast.net
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
            X