Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything to know about super hubs and clutch plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything to know about super hubs and clutch plates?

I just put in a welded and backed hun im my gs 1100. It grabs lime crazy. Womt even fully disengage. Same plates and steels as before. Did i put something in wrong?
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

There is a spec in the manual to shim the inner hub away from the outer basket.

Did you remove the steel clutch plate from the inner hub?
    Did you torque the big nut beyond 50 FT/lbs?

my performance clutches are all totally custom hand fit 1 off units - impossible to give an exact answer in reference to shim thickness and amount of material to remove from inner hub on all sides.

did you have the shop set your timing at idle to 10~13 degrees B.T.D.C.?
    the HUGE carb is going to be a challenge.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I am guessing you installed something in the wrong place. Look at a SUZUKI manual, take it all back apart & make sure you have the correct washers in the correct places.
      Ray.

Comment

Thanks, I'll pull it. Any difference year to year with the steels?
        1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

11-15-15

True story yesterday -- my clutch was slipping , and shifted strange- coincidence?

november clutch disaster.jpg

Comment

Holy crap! Scary pic. Any major damage?

Comment

I am curious too, did that do any other damage?

Comment

FWIW, I've used a couple of modified hubs; 1 V&H and 1 Falicon. I installed them exactly as I would a stock unit and have never had any problems.

Comment

I will be dropping the pan later today and taking pictures to show what all crashed -- this is the first time it has happened to me - I noticed the clutch slipping and trans. shifting notchy - so I am pretty sure it hit the shift detent and curved guide.

it still went 116 in the quarter -and pulled a few clutchless wheelies before the drag pass.-- this was a good tight stock basket and I replaced a tambourine, so I am a little surprised it fell apart so quickly without warning.

Comment

When they let go there usually is NO warning. You should see what gets killed when the BASKET explodes!!! I helped Joe Desantis pick parts of a STOCK hub out of his Pro Stock motor at Pomona in 96! I asked why he had a STOCK basket in a Pro Stock motor & he said it was a money issue! It cost him a LOT more than a billet basket would have from the beginning!!!
                    Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X