Who like's a front fairing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    I'm considering a cafe half fairing, The best pic I can find is this from Mad Max, Johnny the Boy's KZ1000.
    The most similar to the GS big 4s. Looks like the cylinder head gets plenty of air.
    There might even be room for handlebar mounted mirrors.
    I love my little cafe fairing. At reasonable speeds it keeps enough air off of me to make highway riding comfortable. Considering that I'm rocking a 550, I don't want too much wind surface. I use lower, solid handlebars (FZ1 handlebars) and bar end mirrors. You can fit the master cylinder under the fairing with good handlebar choice, but using the original mirror mounts might require some adjustment if the bars are narrow width. Do bear in mind that if you are tall like me, you might end up needing more. My seat is lower and I'm using rear-sets. This tucks me right into the bubble of good airflow without having to duck my head. All that might not be your thing, though.

Comment

Well, last week I ordered a DUC917 half fairing from airtech-streamlining.com, They have to make it now, 4 week wait.
      I was stuck between this and the Cooley fairing, because for this fairing I'll have to fabricate brackets, “There are no gains without pains”.
      Here's a BMW with the same fairing.
      Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-25-2016, 12:49 PM.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I like it... the Cooley screams old GS - not a bad thing. That Airtech one screams old school bad ass. Ill be curious on hearing how well it blocks the wind.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I like it Bill, but I think looks should dictate the mirrors. Bar ends that is....
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Nice looking fairing, Bill. I really like how the lower part extends back. It looks to be a little lower than mine in some areas. You can use really low rise bars upside down to get the clearance if you need it. Are you going to drill the holes for your turn signals or use stick-ons?

Comment

Charlie; Sure the looks determine the mirrors, I like mirrors that are EZ to look through. The OEM 1100G mirrors are top of the line and the best bike mirrors I've ever used. The wide rectangular bar end mirrors might be decent, not the little round type.
              GSCafe; I've already mounted clip-ons on my bike. Turn signals, meh…have to start thinking about how to do those.
              Maybe on a bracket under the fairing like the GS700ES?
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Charlie; Sure the looks determine the mirrors, I like mirrors that are EZ to look through. The OEM 1100G mirrors are top of the line and the best bike mirrors I've ever used. The wide rectangular bar end mirrors might be decent, not the little round type.
                GSCafe; I've already mounted clip-ons on my bike. Turn signals, meh…have to start thinking about how to do those.
                Maybe on a bracket under the fairing like the GS700ES?
                Have you ever tried the round mirrors? Mine are convex so it's like I've got a 360° bug's eye view. For the signals, as long as you're fabbing brackets, you might as well build in a spot for your signals of choice.

Comment

Yes, I bought a set of the little round mirrors, they work ok for seeing about a block behind.
                  I Like to see if there's a cop car back about a 1/4 mile, 1 mile mo-betta.
                  Actually, I have nice versions of both the round and wide rectangular bar end mirrors. After the last post I held up the rectangular mirror in position and compared it to the OEM mirror, and yeah looks like those will work well.
                  Bummer, I would lose the bar end weights that kill the clip-ons vibration.
                  Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-25-2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

A quick search showed me that some companies do provide a dampener weight/bar end mirror combo.

Comment

I have been running fairings in one form or another since the early 70's, here is my offering for the day.100_2997.jpg
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                        I use a Shoei FM2 on the 1000G in the summer months and a full Vetter in the colder months. On the 78' 1000 I use one of those universal Cafe fairings.
                        which fairing are you referring too? do you have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by MTChauncey View Post
                          which fairing are you referring too? do you have a link?
                          Hey Bro, he mentioned 3 fairings, wanna narrow it down?

Comment

Hey Bro, he mentioned 3 fairings, wanna narrow it down?
                            I had asked about 78 fairings. He mentioned a cafe fairing. Just wanted a link

Comment

I have a Vetter quicksilver in black and the mount for GS850/1100 and probably more bikes I want to get rid of. $40.00 for the package and you pay shipping.

PM me

Jim
                              GS Score Card
                              4-400 Series GS's
                              3-500 Series
                              1-600 Series
                              1-700 Series
                              4-800 Series
                              1-1000 Series
                              2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                              sigpic

Comment