Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum Kick Stand and Foot Pegs for GS1100e?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum Kick Stand and Foot Pegs for GS1100e?

I didn't know if this would be in this section or "appearance" but since its for weight reduction I thought I'd post here.

I'm looking around to reduce some weight off my 82 GS1100E (without reducing usefulness) and was wondering if there was any aluminum kick stands and foot pegs that will bolt right on. Ive got a foot peg that needs replacing anyway, and the kickstand... well aluminum is just cool and lighter. lol
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

I have never seen an aluminum stand. I am going to weigh mine and see what savings you could get.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

600 grams or so for the steel. It will make picking the bike up easier when the aluminum fails maybe?
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
        I'm looking around to reduce some weight off my 82 GS1100E (without reducing usefulness) and was wondering if there was any aluminum kick stands and foot pegs that will bolt right on. Ive got a foot peg that needs replacing anyway, and the kickstand... well aluminum is just cool and lighter. lol
        Not that I have seen. You may be able to measure up your footpegs and find some Chinese ones on fleabay that can work, though. I have never seen an aluminum kickstand long enough to work on an '82 1100E but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. The weight savings you will achieve with these can easily be equaled by cutting out desert for a couple of weeks, it is negligible at best. The biggest weight savings available is replacing the OEM 4-2 exhaust with a light 4-1 and installing pod filters. After that I would replace the OEM signal lights with small LED's, strip all the non-essential bits off and call it a day.

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
        600 grams or so for the steel. It will make picking the bike up easier when the aluminum fails maybe?

No reason a properly designed aluminum kickstand will fail, but it won't be significantly lighter than the steel one, either. If the stock stand is 600g then the most that OP will save in a best case result is maybe 150g.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Theres these.

I imagine if you sent them your current stand they could reproduce what you have in aluminum.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Has anyone thought about putting a shear pin in those things or notching them.
            I managed to leave it down twice in the last three years so it looks like I'm not done doing it yet.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks guys, I like the look of the aluminum stuff and I figure if I found something cheap off Ebay that I'd pick it up.
              Any ideas on foot pegs? Ive gotta replace one anyhow. I'd like to have flat ones that are actually comfortable on longer rides instead of the "Knurled round" ones I see around.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                Theres these.

I imagine if you sent them your current stand they could reproduce what you have in aluminum.
                Love the look of those.
                Would like a better understanding of the mechanism that adjusts the height. Would be fearful of it letting go.

Without holding them in my hand I would say that's a decent price for what's involved. The outer piece is of course a tube, wonder if the inner is solid.

If anyone try's these on a 1100e please post up.

Comment

When I bought my (at least) third-hand 1982 1100e, I was told, "This bike didn't come with a centerstand." I was just too overwhelmed with it's bigness and it's badness to be concerned with a centerstand.

Since then, I've wondered if the weight savings countered the COG.

I've never restored it to a centerstand, but I still wonder if the extra couple of pounds so down low would offset the lowering of a couple of pounds of gross weight.

PS My Suzi weighs in at 563 with half a tank.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    When I bought my (at least) third-hand 1982 1100e, I was told, "This bike didn't come with a centerstand." I was just too overwhelmed with it's bigness and it's badness to be concerned with a centerstand.

Since then, I've wondered if the weight savings countered the COG.

I've never restored it to a centerstand, but I still wonder if the extra couple of pounds so down low would offset the lowering of a couple of pounds of gross weight.

l

I keep my center stand in my work room and can install it in 15 seconds without the spring and just one bolt on the shifter side. Plenty secure. It's been replacedg by a pit bull stand now. They are heavy.

The fz1 center stand is small and light and not worth doing without on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Sort of what I was thinking -- it's fundamentally an enormous, very heavy bike, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. A few ounces saved with expensive aluminum bits here and there aren't going to make the slightest difference, other than they'll break sooner. As noted above, replacing the stock exhaust and removing the centerstand are the big weight savings.

And there's no way on earth I would want to try and prop up an enormous vintage bike with an aluminum kickstand intended for a modern 400 pound sportbike. Aluminum footpegs would be fine, of course, if you can find some that fit and you like the look.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                      X