No announcement yet.

pistons hitting headgasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. Head gasket edge that protrudes to combustion chamber is potential hot spot and will promote detonation. So I would recommend just modify the gasket.
    Arttu
    GS1100E EFI turbo
    Project thread

Comment

I'm sitting here thinking about it and messing with the gasket. I think I might take it in to work and try using the connecting rod sizer and try and hone it out, it cuts under oil and should be a pretty fine cut. Do you think that might work?

Comment

Originally posted by helmutholderbenz View Post
        I'm sitting here thinking about it and messing with the gasket. I think I might take it in to work and try using the connecting rod sizer and try and hone it out, it cuts under oil and should be a pretty fine cut. Do you think that might work?
        Might work, can't say for sure as I don't have a clear idea about that tool. I would probably try with die grinder and flap wheel or carbide bit.
        Arttu
        GS1100E EFI turbo
        Project thread

Comment

Originally posted by helmutholderbenz View Post
          Hi, I'm working on my 83 750e 3rd gen motor today. I pulled the head off to put in heilcoils in all my cam caps (all 24 of them) I also am replacing a wrist pin that I KNOW to be worn (will also be replacing the two top rings of each piston, not the oil ring). After I removed one of the pistons I was looking at it and I noticed that there is a impression of my headgasket on the crown of the piston as if the piston was coming up and smacking it. It's not just a discoloration, if you run your fingernail you can feel it, heck, you can see it. is this normal??? Thanks for your help
          Just wondering why you are not replacing the oil rings and de-glazing the cylinders??? Copper Gaskets Unlimited will make you a gasket if you need one any bore size and thickness and just spray copper coat to both sides and go with it.Just and idea if nothing else works. If it's MLS metal, Why not scribe it, use sharp aviation snips and cut it out and smooth it out with a fine mounted stone and clean it up and use the stocker like it says.Again just thinking. The fancy rod resizer sounds like a good choice also if it goes that big. Sounds like a pretty large rod end. But not familiar with that type of tool. Cutting on the pistons sounds like a bad idea. Again my thoughts.
          Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 10-02-2016, 04:50 AM.
          sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
          X