New mods coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New mods coming

Got a rbd cover and a new mre lockup on order. Question on the lockup; Do you use oem springs/aftermarket or can you just leave a few out. need a baseline to start with---Thanks

Also got a dyna s ignition coming too and in a couple more months looking at 36 or 38 flatsides- what size do you guys recommend.

Getting closer to the 5's

Jake
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

I knew after you got the cover that the lockup would be next.
    The lockup can be made as complex as you want it to be. A single stage would be just to use the same weights and springs. There are six arms, so you could make it a 2 stage by using different weights on every other arm. You can also play with different springs. Based upon my own testing on my old bike I run only three springs. Springs are stock, but I have also tried three APE springs. The pull in tennsion is nothing compared to six heavy springs. You can always add spacers to the spings to increase the preload as well. On the arms I use two seperate weights. You may want to start with just the stock nut and bolts that are included.
    In my case I want the bike to come out very soft. I don't build enough power to have any clutch problems down track. Your bike may be different. Think about getting a data logger. Then you can determine the slippage with it.

Comment

Can't speak to the lockup, but get the 38's for the carbs, or go for the lectrons.

Comment

Jake I have run lectrons,mikuni`s and kiehns. For all out performance its really hard to beat lectrons. They are kinda hard to get right but when you do you got something. If you are doing no more engine mods 38`s are fine...with a little more motor 40`s. I once used a MRE lockup ....I used all stock springs with 2 nuts....that was good on a good low 5 second turbo. Never had any clutch problems. It did tend to lock up fairly quickly which was fine with the size tire on the bike. Just be careful and don`t smoke a clutch pack.

Comment

To begin with use the stock springs with the nuts & bolts that come with the lock-up.
          Then when you've used it you can experiment with softer/less springs and more or less weight on the arms.

Comment

Thanks for the input ya'll.

I'll try the lockup with all my springs and bolt/nut on each arm to start with when it gets here.

As for carbs I do like the lectrons but boy do they cost alot.
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
            X