Rocker arm nut size changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocker arm nut size changes

I know that all the older 16 valve GS's took a 9mm wrench to adjust the valves. I ordered some recently and the part # superseded and the size now takes an 8mm wrench. So I ordered enough to make a full set of 16.I did not want to mix them up besides needing 2 wrenches I thought they could weigh a gram or so different.. I have not weighed the 9mm compared to the 8mm. But by being smaller I just assumed they were lighter. I know that any thing lighter in the valve train is better. And also they will all weigh the same now. Has anyone else noticed this change in sizes? And could it be a very slight performance advantage by them being lighter, I know when I had Star Racing do my head I had them cut down the outer diameters of the valve retainers to lighten them some. Along with back cutting the exhaust valves. Just questions for thought. Thanks all.
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Lightness

Well if u wanted to go extreme you can cut the adjuster stem almost level with the nut and put a slot in it for adjusting. Then counter sink the sides on the nut as per pics......

Comment

So your saying you think that little bit makes a difference. Cool I was just wondering on stockers if they were mixing up the old nuts with the new number and could it have any adverse effects with any outcomes. Or would just changing to the nuts to the smaller ones be a cheap and easy performance trick. Some fancy nuts you got going there for sure. Rocker arms look killer also very nice. You think on a dyno you could see any difference with your nuts and rocker arms or just longer valve train wear quicker r.p.m.s ? Or hopefully both. Thanks.
      Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 12-21-2016, 12:49 AM.
      sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

I also noticed that size change when I bought some new rockers. I'm using mixed set now and haven't noticed any problems except that tiny extra annoyance when adjusting the valves. In theory the smaller nut saves weight exactly on the right place but I think difference is so small that you probably won't notice it in reality. Just think how much the rocker, valve, retainer etc. weights compared to nut. Of course if you are pushing valvetrain on the limits then every tiny detail counts.
        Arttu
        GS1100E EFI turbo
        Project thread

Comment

more of a wank than weight with my setup. was bored and had heaps of time. but look cool

Comment

Working...
          X