No announcement yet.

ID this 4 into 1 pipe for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve, that is definitely not a Yoshimura Series 1 exhaust, those are very distinct looking, and the only thing that could be confused with them would either be replicas of the original Yoshimura, or Bassani pipes. The Bassani still look slightly different and I think are slightly larger diameter.

That is a really great looking pipe, however! I really like that style. Yoshimura Series 1 is the ultimate pipe in my opinion, or replicas of it ( I have a GS1000 Yoshimura series one, and I have been trying to get my buddy to sell or trade me a beat up Yoshimura series 1 4 GS550. It is slightly different, shorter and more upswept, but still keeping with the same style.
    Marving upswept road race pipes with the flat collector are probably my number two favorite.
    Number three favorite would be delkevic stainless pipes, although the road race type muffler can for them only comes with a very small diameter baffle, they don't have any large inside diameter high performance baffles available like they do for their megaphone style mufflers. The workmanship and quality is outstanding on those however, and they are all stainless steel. And a great price at that.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

All of the Yosh and Bassani pipes that I have seen (admittedly, not very many) have had smooth curves from the collector to the can. The two curves on mine are a bit too angular, not the smooth, sweeping curves I expect from them.

This pipe came with my son's 850, when we got it many, many years ago. He then also got a 1000G and had both for a while. Decided he liked the 1000 better, so we sold the 850. Before letting it go, I asked his permission to swap exhaust systems with the stock setup I had on my bike, he agreed. I also kept the main jets from the carbs, knowing that they should work. I have since jetted the bike leaner, might do it again, getting back to almost stock. Most 4-into1 systems don't flow a bunch more than the stock setup, and I am still using the stock airbox (with a K&N insert), so overall airflow has not changed much.

I have no plans on getting rid of this pipe. I like the sound and the look, especially the fact that it stays below the saddlebags.
      It's not too many touring bikes that have a 4-into-1 installed, and this one is definitely quiet enough for all-day touring.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Another pic of the whole thing:

I looked at a 750 Jardine pipe that I have been interested in in the past, and it does not have the aggressive downward slant to the number one and number two cylinders head pipes to end up down at the bottom right side of the crankcase, like this one does. But the collector looks just like a Jardine. The muffler looks very similar. It has elements of Vance and Hines, RC, and Jardine! Could be an old design version of any of those I suppose, or something different...

I think it looks the most like a Vance & Hines aside from the slip fit individual for head pipes at collector, but the header itself in the front looks like an RC. Russ Collins' earliest employees of notoriety were the founders of Vance & Hines, Terry Vance and Byron Hines! Perhaps they had used the original RC style head pipe configuration on their earliest pipes? The pipes were put on by the original owner. The guy we got it from bought it from his widow and hadn't changed anything aside from finding an air box lid and a new air filter
        Attached Files
        '79 GS425stock
        PROJECTS:
        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Aha!!! I forgot about a Marshall (Jama) deep tone exhaust that I was looking at on eBay a few years ago for a GS550, they wanted $400 for it New Old Stock which I thought was a bit much.
          Then after scrolling through 50 videos of GS550 on YouTube, I find this! If that badge is riveted on, that is the only discrepancy I saw. After scrolling through 50 videos of GS 550 on YouTube, I find it this! If that badge is riveted on, that is the only discrepancy I can see between the two exhausts! Baffle looks the same, head pipes look the same, slip fit collector looks the same...

EDIT- although that is the closest I have yet to see direct evidence of, another few photos that I found clearly show an indent in the Marshall Muffler with the plaque riveted on, and it looks like the collector pipe that is welded to the muffler has a greater offset in it. Also, the baffle Outlet looks slightly different, wish I was trying to discern from the grainy video footage, but thought that I noticed something different.

Marshall GS650/550:

Last edited by Chuck78; 12-26-2017, 05:29 PM.
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Maybe an alphabet exhaust, early baffle look like the one you have, later model was a reverse cone.They dont have name plate, only a decal.The muffler just slip on the headers with no clamps.I have one here but its for a 2 cylinders motorcycle.Its not the same but you can see a muffler here:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-NEW-AL...-/331868606151
            Marc
            AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
            1978 GS1000C X2
            1978 GS1000E X2
            1979 GS1000S
            1979 gs1000
            1983 gs400e

Comment

Looks exactly like a J & R system I had on a Honda 500/4, way back when.

Comment

On Steve's bike, I meant to say series 7 Yosh which a friends older brother had back in the day.
                His was RR chrome style running up the middle of the oil pan also having a short upswept silencer ending a fair bit before the axle bolt.
                I guess similar to Wes Cooley's old race bike, but his was black.
                It looked so clean an tidy on a metallic silver 80 1100E. Used to "goon out" on it whenever I heard or saw it.
                The collector looked somewhat similar in shape to Steve's, but much more upswept.
                The baffle on the end of Steve's is the only thing that looks similar to the Series I Yosh I have.
                Never heard of Marshall, but that photo with the individual pipes look like the same bends on the header.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Looks like what you were describing:

Yoshi Series 1:

[IMG][/IMG]
                  '79 GS425stock
                  PROJECTS:
                  '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Cool to get one for $180 these days ha!
                    Where would one find dads vintage ads, if not looking specifically?
                    Wish Yosh would be willing to make some of these again, seems they have the tooling, and a fair number of folks around the world would probably buy them.
                    Any pipe passing the axle or having a down turn spigot doesn't look period correct on a near 40 year old MC.
                    Guess emissions and DB might kill that wish.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                      Any pipe passing the axle or having a down turn spigot doesn't look period correct on a near 40 year old MC.
                      You can't really tell from the pictures that I posted of my bike, but I kill both of those items. Actually, the end of the muffler is ahead of the axle, but it's right under the saddle bag, so I added an extension to get it to the rear of the bag. Yep, it turns down, too.

I'm not shooting for "period correct" with my bike. There are SO many things about it that leave the purists scratching their heads because it looks right, but not quite. Some just can't tell, which is what I like.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think it is a Jama
                        Got the same on my 550E
                        20180107_123146960_iOS.jpg
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-07-2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Another pic of the inscription on the muffler.
                          20180107_123208387_iOS.jpg

Comment

Ahhh.... is that inscription on the muffler located on the back side? It's now in an unheated garage at my friend's house, so I'm not able to check it out directly...
                            The Marshall exhaust (made by JAMA) had an indent in the muffler megaphone for the Marshall logo, so I discounted the Marshall/Jama idea.... the front of your Jama looks strikingly similar though!

Can you perhaps include a photo of the baffle?, and the entire megaphone/Muffler as installed on bike from side view???

THANKS for chiming in!
                            '79 GS425stock
                            PROJECTS:
                            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                            X