33 Smoothbores on an 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

33 Smoothbores on an 1150

Today I pulled the 33's off the 1100 drag bike and put them on my 1150 street bike, man what a difference, bike felt like it had 25 more horsepower. I know the jetting is off but it pulled so hard the clutch started slipping. As with most 33's they didn't want to idle back down due to the fact I only had a single throttle cable on them. Does anyone know of a throttle that has a push/pull cable and will and the starter button and kill switch still work on my 1150? Does anyone have any jetting recommendations for these carbs on my stock 1150? Thanks, Mike J

You can get the push/pull throttle from Dennis Kirk, APE, Murdoch Racing, Cope Racing, or Motion Pro. I run 33 Mikunis on my 1100, which is bored to 1166 and has mild cams and some other work done to it...it should be very close to what you need. I will check to see what I'm running and report back.

Hap

Comment

As for a push pull throttle with the kill switch and starter button on it, try a GS throttle from a pre 1980. The VM carbs used a push pull throttle.

Comment

Hey guys, does anybody have any timeslip's using 33's
        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake
          Hey guys, does anybody have any timeslip's using 33's
          Sorry jake, I don't...I hope to in the near future.

Hap

Comment

Jake, seat of the pants tell me they are worth at least two tenths, maybe more. I want them to run almost as smooth as my cv carbs, that may take some work. Aslo thanks for the heads up on the throttle, I'll look at some of the earlier models and see what I can find

Comment

Mike, I have a 82 1166 with 33 smoothbores. I bought the push-pull throttle from pingel for 42.95 and found a start button /killswitch for a ZX6 on ebay for 9.00 .Its way better than any of the old suzuki stuff I could find. On my carbs Im running 130 mains with a 20 pilot jet with mix screws turned out 1 3/4 . Tony

Comment

So do you ride your bike on the street? I know the 33's will make power I'm just not sure if they are good streetable carbs. Granted they wil never be as smooth as the CV's but I have read that they can be tuned to wrk on the street. Of course given the fact that my CV's are running so bad they might be an improvement. :-) Mike

Comment

I have 33's on my 83 1100/1260. The head and crank have been done with some other things. It's VERY streetable,if a little warm in the summer.Anything over 3 grand when I twist it hard and it just GOES !!

Comment

A stock 1150 with a pipe will run good with #20 pilots and 136 mains .

Those are great street carbs but with a nice head and big cams the needle jet is too rich but Sudco still has them . It will spit n sputter and can drive on through it but in an effort for perfection changing them sure helps .

1983 GS1100 with Yoshimura head , 1134 kit 10.5 , Norris cams which were the equivalant of stage III Yosh cams and Bassani race pipe went 10.80's on a 128 main jet w/ C12 fuel . Ran 132's on street w/ pump gas w/#25 pilot

When looking at used 33's , the Yamaha FJ1200 versions got different slides if memory serves correct . So carefull there .

Comment

When looking at used 33's , the Yamaha FJ1200 versions got different slides if memory serves correct . So carefull there .

Yea, I've been looking at specs for the carbs. IIRC The Suz should have a 1.5 slide and the carbs I have have 2.0's, although I may have it backwards. So are the slides a necessity for smooth carburation? If so any idea what they run from Sudco? Thanks Mike

Comment

I also have the 1.5 slide cutaway on my 33s.I think they were set up for a KZ. Sudco has a 2.0 listed for the gs1000/1100.I also have the #261 O.8 needle jets. My carbs run great on the street nice tan color on the plugs.The key is in the lower RPM range you have to roll on the throttle not wack it open. I like the 33s alot better than the 36mm gsxr carbs I had on before.Seems like they have a better top end. Tony

Comment

Working...
                        X