Better Shocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Shocks?

Does anybody have a decent source for Ohlins piggyback shocks for my 82 GS1100E? I would like to know how much excellent performance will cost me before I go and buy Progressive Suspensions shocks and get OK performance...

Any other brands that people know of? I have contacted Traxxion Dynamics about a set of Penske vintage shocks, but have not heard back yet. I would really like to get a set that offer decent adjustability, at least preload and rebound damping, with compression adjustment really appreciated. It's just a question of how much that is going to cost me...

Mark

works has some piggy back shocks but do you have about 800$ to throw at them

page 8 has prices and types of shocks for you.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

works has some piggy back shocks but do you have about 800$ to throw at them
      I have heard some very uncomplimentary things said about Works Performance shocks from people I respect and have ruled them out based on that.

I just got a reply back from Traxxion Dynamics. The Penske vintage shocks run about $1000USD a set (exact price depends on details). A bit too rich for me at the moment. I could justify $500-$600USD for a good pair of fully adjustable shocks, but the $1000 is just too much for my current budget. If it was down to the Works shocks at $800 or the Penske's at $1000, I would pay the extra $200 without hesitation, however. The quality and performance of the Penske's is superlative. Just really expensive...

Mark

Comment

if you find some cheap shocks for the rear please let me know i may like to do sumtin for my 1000 when i get it all fixed up.

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Are Marzocchi's still around? That's what I put on my 1000 years ago....

Comment

What's wrong with progressive?

I ask because I have them on both my GS'.
            The S has about 6K on them, about 3K is 2 up.
            I bought the 412 models, the S has heavier springs than the E.

I also have Progressive springs in both bikes front ends.

No leaks, no problems.....

Any one have issues with this brand?
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I've been looking for some piggybacks for my bike for a long time. Cheap is one word that never seems to be associated with them. For years I have been monitoring them on ebay...when they pop up...and always watch the price soar out of my reach.

...I am so use to my crappy, generic $80 shocks that anything else might upset my riding style...and be unsafe

Comment

What's wrong with progressive?
                Well, they are not what I would call a modern, high performance design. They have no damping adjustment and preload adjustment only in steps, instead of a threaded collar. No ride height adjustment, either.

Try riding a bike with a Penske shock and then tell me what is wrong with the Progressives. I think they are a good value and offer decent performance for the money, but I would like more adjustability for proper set-up and a generally higher end shock than they are.

I also have Progressive springs in both bikes front ends.

No leaks, no problems.....

Any one have issues with this brand?
                I have used their fork springs in an 86 GSXR and been happy with them. For my GS, I plan to get Race Tech fork springs because they are straight rate and I can pick the rate I want, which simplifies tuning. The Progressive springs are not necessarily made specifically for your bike and may be a compromise in terms of length and spring rate. They do appear to work well in the 1100's from what I hear. Again, not as high performance as other choices, but pretty good value for the money. And a vast improvement over the tired old OEM pieces.

I've been looking for some piggybacks for my bike for a long time. Cheap is one word that never seems to be associated with them.
                I am not expecting cheap, just not $1000USD, that's all. If I could find a set for the $500-600USD I mentioned above, I would be fine with spending that. But there is a huge gap between the Progressives at $225USD and the Penske's at $1000USD. It seems to me there should be some sort of middle ground that splits the price/performance difference between the two. Sort of a twin shock version of the Fox twin clicker, for instance.

Oh well, I will keep looking and will post an update if I find any more info on alternatives.

Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark

I was waiting for something about them,Progressives exploding or some weird problems cropping up.

I didn't have $1000USd to spend. For my riding they work very well.

Now on an Aprilia......then I would spend the $$ when needed.

Thanks for your explanation.
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Mark,

I am also looking for a good deal on some piggy backs. Where can you get them for a grand?

Up in my country they are 1600.00. If I could find some.

I have ordered some model 12 progressives. The manufacturer tells me they are the only shock they have for my Land Shark.

I tried to buy a set of FOX shox of a dude that had them on an 82 1000 kat . offered him 700.00 and he declined. he was selling the bike. So I offered him 700.00 and some stock shocks.......urg... still no.

If you find some can you let me know?
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Up in my country they are 1600.00. If I could find some.
                      That is $1000USD, not Canuck bucks. I live in Calgary and share your pain on the exchange rate, although it is pretty good right now...

The $1000USD shocks were Penske vintage shocks from Traxxion Dynamics (http://www.traxxion.com). I am not sure if they are piggy back units or not. The picture they show does not have an external reservoir, but they also show a set for the ZRX1100 Kawi that does have an external reservoir. Either way, I am not concerned. The Penske's are so good that it is irrelevant if they have one or not. It's just paying as much for shocks as I did for the whole bike that bothers me a bit... :?

And what my wife would say when she found out. 8O

I just checked Fox's website and they have DISCONTINUED production of motorcycle shocks. Aopparently, they are making so much from bicycle shocks that the motorcycle line was dumped as unprofitable...

I am still trying to source some from one of the other suppliers (WP as a first try), but they are not cooperating at the moment. More to come...

Mark

Comment

I just talked to Penske Canada

There are U.S. dealers on this site too.

1050.00 Canadian for piggy back shocks. If they don't have the specks (he will be getting back to me tomorrow) they will build a pair from old ones you send in.

I talked to Craig in the Ontario office.

That's a pretty drrrn good price..
                        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

1050.00 Canadian for piggy back shocks. If they don't have the specks (he will be getting back to me tomorrow) they will build a pair from old ones you send in.
                          Not that bad, at all. I am interested at this price. I can work out some spring rates if necessary, based on the bike and rider weights and application. Those would be the pinnacle of shocks for the old GS and performance would be peerless. I know from other's experiences that Penske will do revalves and swap spring rates for free until you are happy with the performance. Of course, for what they charge they should...

Cool, possibly some very good shocks for my baby.

Mark

Comment

I have Works shocks in 2 of my 3 1150's and love them both. The "Cheap" one in the 84es was 480usd, the "Ultra" in the 85e is about 800usd. Granted its a single shock ,so the prices don't really compare. But both shocks are way,way better than the stock ones could have dreamed to be. They asked me alot of questions about me and the bikes to make sure the shocks did what I wanted. Great service,great product.

Comment

Originally posted by BillC
                              Are Marzocchi's still around? That's what I put on my 1000 years ago....
                              Not anymore! They do forks and suspension for mountain bikes now.

Comment

Working...
                              X