Better Shocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark,

I went and bought a pair of OHLINS....got a good deal and, well......I took the hook like a good fish.

980.00 usd shipped for the 4x adjustable.
    SU145-36PRCLB
    > External piggyback reservoir
    > Adjustable rebound damping
    > Adjustable compression damping
    > Adjustable length
    > Hydraulic preload adjuster

What can I say.....I'M WEAK!!!!!!

With the price of the dollar now and the price I couldn't say no...
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

What can I say.....I'M WEAK!!!!!!
      Not weak, you just appreciate a quality product...

Those are fantastic shocks and will do a great job for you. I am supremely jealous. Myself, I have decided that I will be going with Progressives for the moment and using the extra $$$ I saved to buy a new compressor, braided S/S brake lines and some other bits and pieces I need. I will be keeping an eye open for a set of piggyback and eventually I will get a set.

Mark

Comment

Or go to breakers and ask for FJR1200/1300 Yam shocks, they use ?hlins shocks(or copies) as standard. Or buy the whole FJR swingarm and put that on your bike, fits nice...

Comment

what year fjr 1200 swing fits a gs1100?
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

It is XJR1200/1300 sorry folks...I live in europe so I?m not sure what it is called in USA. But it`s this new model not that old slug from eighties. -97 or newer, it started as 1200 and then grew to 1300. It`s got this big beatiful swinger with ?hlins dampers and it fit`s without major work to old iron frame. I haven`t put them myself but I saw one Katana with that swinger and owner said that it was easy to install...

Comment

Is it the one fcalled Diversion?

If so, we don't get those here in the states
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

We don't have any in Canada either and a racing buddy of mine tells me the ohlins that come on those are ....welll........sub-standard.......not the best. not his words.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

You don`t have those in US? Really?It`s a shame. It`s beatiful retro style bike, NOT diversion that`s one ugly bike. Do you have similar GSX1400 or Honda`s CB1000?? The ?hlins that comes with XJR are I believe some sort of copies from original items, but because Yamaha owns ?hlins-factory(so I`ve told) they can use ?hlins-stickers....

Comment

Originally posted by sami
                    You don`t have those in US? Really?It`s a shame. It`s beatiful retro style bike, NOT diversion that`s one ugly bike. Do you have similar GSX1400 or Honda`s CB1000?? The ?hlins that comes with XJR are I believe some sort of copies from original items, but because Yamaha owns ?hlins-factory(so I`ve told) they can use ?hlins-stickers....
                    Wasn't the Diversion a 600? I agree, it was pretty ugly, lots of square angles if I remember.
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Replacement Shocks to Lower My '78 GS1000E

Can anyone recommend any shorter-than-stock replacement shocks which will lower the rear of my '78 GS1000E? I'd like to go with replacements 1" shorter than stock.

Does anyone know the eye-to-eye length of the stock shocks? (I think they may be 13", but am not sure.

Thanks!

Comment

Re: Better Shocks?

Originally posted by mark m
                        Does anybody have a decent source for Ohlins piggyback shocks for my 82 GS1100E? I would like to know how much excellent performance will cost me before I go and buy Progressive Suspensions shocks and get OK performance...

Any other brands that people know of? I have contacted Traxxion Dynamics about a set of Penske vintage shocks, but have not heard back yet. I would really like to get a set that offer decent adjustability, at least preload and rebound damping, with compression adjustment really appreciated. It's just a question of how much that is going to cost me...

Mark
                        I don't much care for the progressives. The ones I put on my GS850GLZ leaked within 3000 miles and less than 6 months. Their air shocks on my Goldwing never really fit properly. I bought air shocks from them for my GS1100GLZ but only because it needed more capacity for sidecar duty.

Best shocks I've had on my GS850 were the koni 7610s. Alas Koni isn't in the bike shock business anymore. However Ikon (from down under) makes the equivalent shock. Wish I could give you some feedback on them but I don't have any practical experience with them.

Their website is at http://www.ikonsuspension.com/index.html

Comment

Best shocks I've had on my GS850 were the koni 7610s. Alas Koni isn't in the bike shock business anymore. However Ikon (from down under) makes the equivalent shock. Wish I could give you some feedback on them but I don't have any practical experience with them.
                          After a ton of searching my choice looks like it will be a set of the Ikon's. I want them longer than the stock length and they will do a custom build for me with the body from a CB900F shock (+1.2" over the stock GS shock) and the end connections for the GS. Price is $530AUD shipped to me. That works out to about $480CDN, which is not too bad to my sensibilities. For comparison, a set of Progressives will be about $350CDN shipped to my door. To get rebound adjustment and a more performance oriented shock (the PS ones are really aimed at the cruiser/touring market) , the extra $130 is reasonable to me.

If anybody cares, Penske's were about $1000USD, fully adjustable Ohlins are about $1000USD, WP is temporarily stopping production while they redesign their line (too bad, they looked like a good choice for decent $$$), Fox has ceased production of motorcycle shocks completely 8O , and Wilber's were about $800USD a set.

From what I can see, the Penske's were the best, with the Ohlins right behind and the Wilbers slightly lower yet. Everything else is well below these in terms of quality and fit and finish. Of course, the price shows that, too. As usual, you do get what you pay for, but that last 5% costs about 50% more...

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
                            ...Fox has ceased production of motorcycle shocks completely 8O , ...
                            Mark
                            That sucks...I used to have Fox Shoxs on my '77 RM250B...great shocks for the time!

Hap

Comment

That sucks...I used to have Fox Shoxs on my '77 RM250B...great shocks for the time!
                              They have a good reputation and I would have considered them if they were available. From their website, it looks like they are making so much money off of the bicycle and R/C car markets that they gave up on motorcycles.

Comment

Working...
                              X