Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMALL HAIRLINE CRACK. where clutch bearing clip rides in crankase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMALL HAIRLINE CRACK. where clutch bearing clip rides in crankase?

I have seen this at the track with guys running helicut gear set up.A lot of junk cases sitting around.I had my gs1100ez exploaded a stock basket years ago.HV oil pump gear ring gear etc.Cases gouged also.I was shimming a new basket and just now noticed ths hairline crack is approx.1/4 -3/8 in.where the half moon clip, clips into the cases just on one side .Possible a more stressful area in the small thickness of the corners.....Where the bearing retained clip rides.Will it pull it out with the helicut gears.Small but concerning.I'm thinking about expoxy for now and check for and fractures in that area. I have seen cases destroyed where they attempt to WELD that sensitive thin ares..Has any one seen good strong repairs? Or after they total self destruct then recycle junk cases ? lolol
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Paging RapidRay......
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

On my 1150/1229 Kat this piece has been broken for years. I tried once to jb weld it, failed.
      There is that half moon shaped case plate, somewhat blocking the lower portion on the bearing.

Now, the last few times I've had the clutch basket off the narrow portion of that plate has been cracked off and laying in the sump.
      The phillips head screw is still there holding the other side of plate along with other 2 screws on the plate.
      To think Suzuki made such a thin strip holding the c-clip makes me wonder why the clip is even there.
      Any side load at all would crack that 1/16'' aluminum holding the c-clip in.

I have 3 totally burned Wiseco pistons with only 400 miles on them, so the whole motor is split at the moment.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

the crack/breakage is caused by basket heli gear side load.
        straight cut gears eliminate the side load.

Comment

Not only just the side load that causes it to crack,Those heli cut gears are robbing H.P. also.It all like fighting itself,
          sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Smoother and less noise?
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
              What's the plus side to helical? It looks more expensive to mfr but maybe not.
              Quieter and longer life. For a given gear width, the tooth is longer so more area in engagement equals lower point loadings.
              There are drawbacks to straight cuts too. The force separating the shafts is higher with straight cuts. Generally that's not a problem but I've seen a couple of engines where installing straight cut primaries cracked the cases. Not Suzuki I'd add.
              Roadrace applications don't see the sudden loadings you drag guys put in. Helicals will live even with big capacity and HP.

If you have to use helicals, one fix is to machine back the face outside the mainshaft bearing until you just hit the circlip groove.
              Then make up a steel bearing retaining plate held in with 2 or 3 substantial screws.

Comment

Working...
              X