Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HD, 883 sporster (with built1200), vs my 81 gs750(1166)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
    well since we're talking about harleys here's what bugs me... while harley guys may know the goofy names of all the harley models, like super air bagger glide train, most just don't seem to know much about bikes in general. like, if you're talking to them and you start getting more technical than simply what kind of pipes they replaced their stock exhaust with, they usually seem to just fizzle out. know what i mean?
    Yeah, that is pretty common. I love to research everything-always have. Lots of weekend warriors just call their dealer and ask for "Stage 1," "Stage 2," etc., never really understanding what will be changed (at least beyond the names of the parts, if that).
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I have owned a couple quick harleys and buells. A vrod street rod, XR1200, xb12s, xb12stt, xb12x and a couple Blast P3s. The bikes are "Harley" fast not Suzuki/Kaw/Honda/Yam Fast.

A really early episode of the show "Pinks" ran a mildly modified Vrod A model vs a early GSX1100 4 valve. My memory is a little vague. The races were close. 1st the GS won by a little. 2nd vrod won by a little (Vrod overheated the clutch). 3rd the Vrod destroyed the clutch and the GS won by car lengths.

My son is infatuated with the Vrod. It's 650-700 #s with a high center of gravity and LONGGGG (8'+ tip of front to back of rear wheel on my R) with ~120-140hp on tap. They are best setup for cruising or drag racing. The Vrod is ultra stable in a straight line

The XR1200 is closer to the GS layout. ~550#s raised riding position, 90hp. The rear set pegs fit me better at 35 than 45 yrs old. The XR is a very nice handling bike.

The Buells are a completely different beast 350-450#s 100-110hp hooligan bike. Only motorcycle That Ive owned which will wheelie without slipping the clutch. The Buells are better than I could ride at the time.

The GSs are berty botts every flavor bean in motorcycles. Any color, size or mod is available... Like a Harley.
      The GS toys:
      79 GS1000L 1st bike sold many moons ago...
      78 GS550
      81 GS650G The son's
      82 GS650GL parts bike
      85 GS700ES in progress
      85 gs700E parts bike
      82 GS1000GL in pieces
      80 GS1100L in progress

Comment

Buells are pure joy to ride-unless you are covering distance. The ST series was okay there, but the rest of em beat you up. Still, as a hooligan bike, not many things are more fun to ride.

I liked the VRod in the Street Rod format. That was a pretty great bike.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
        X