stock airbox vs aftermarket pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stock airbox vs aftermarket pods

have had two gs's with aftermarket individual air filters and the power is flat. Went to stock air box on the 750 and the power was much better. Can anyone get a stock gs1000 or gs750 to run good with aftermarket air filters and how?Please advise!

The easiest way to do it is to remove the air filter housing from the rear of the plenum chamber, replace it with a single larger pod.
    The swap to indiviual pods can be very problematic, as you have found, most GS's seem to really like the bit of restriction caused by leaving the plenum on.
    There are however several members who have very sucessfully swapped to pods and re-jetted. So I wouldnt totally rule it out as an option, but it has been shown to require time and patience to get it right.
    Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
      There are however several members who have very sucessfully swapped to pods and re-jetted. So I wouldnt totally rule it out as an option, but it has been shown to require time and patience to get it right.
      Dink
      The best way to get pods to work right is to use Mikuni RS carbs, the CVs reliance on vacuum causes some issues with pods, that may, or may not be worked around.

Comment

Aren't the RS carbs for "off road" "race" only, or is that just a disclaimer from Mikuni? Do I need to do other modifications to run these carbs? I'm not really looking for more power neccessarily, I'm just looking for an alternative to the stock plenum because it's such a pain to get the carbs on and off.

Comment

If you want to get technical, anytime you change your intake or exhaust it becomes 'off road use only'.

I just noticed you have a 78, which I think means you have VM carbs, not CV's, if that's the case, ignore everything I said about going with RS carbs, they won't work for you. The VMs can be tuned without much difficulty I beleive, but I'm not the one to tell you how.

Comment

yeah I have stock vm26 on the bike but an extra set of CV's. I noticed in the Mikuni manual vm29 have 115 mains and 25 pilot. My carbs have 97.5 mains and 15 pilot. I guess I'll go up to 20's on the pilot and move the needle up one notch. I hope it doesn't take long to get these carbs tuned right, taking them in and out is a major pain. Thanks for all the help everyone!!

Comment

Working...
            X