Ideal air/fuel ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideal air/fuel ratio?

What's the ideal air/fuel ratio for a GS?

On my fuel injected K6 GSXR 750, I have a wideband O2 sensor along with a Power Commander V with autotune, which allows you to set a target air/fuel ratio based on RPM and throttle position. The computer then automatically adjusts the AFR to match the desired AFR in real time. On that bike, I have the AFR set to 13.1 for throttle position up to 80% up to 5K RPM and 13.0 for 80% throttle position and 5K RPM and up. The bike runs beautifully with this configuration.

I plan on adding a wideband O2 sensor with a gauge to my GS1000 to help dial in the carbs. When tuning the carbs on the GS1000, should I be aiming for 13.0-13.1 AFR like my GSXR, or some other AFR?

Target autotune AFR grid in the Power Commander V software for reference:

Last edited by 80GS1000; 10-23-2019, 05:38 PM.
    Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
    2006 GSXR 750

If I remember correctly, the stoichiometric ratio for gasoline is 14.7:1. However, you do want it a bit richer than that, which puts it into the 13-ish territory where your 750 is. Obviously, carbs are not quite that easy to 'program', but I would guess that you might be wanting something in the 12-13 range.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Plug chops are still needed
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

mmm plug chops
        1983 GS750ES WITH UNI PODS, 4-1 KERKER
        We can rebuild her. We have the technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          Plug chops are still needed
          Why? Wouldn't knowing the AFR tell you what you need to know?
          Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
          2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            Why? Wouldn't knowing the AFR tell you what you need to know?
            It would be useful to know what each cylinder is doing. A lambda sensor on the collector is aggregating the output of all.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              It would be useful to know what each cylinder is doing. A lambda sensor on the collector is aggregating the output of all.
              That makes sense. Or install a 02 sensor bung per downpipe. Just kidding.
              Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
              2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                . Or install a 02 sensor bung per downpipe.
                Seen it done, but the owner wasn't using a multi-way AFR gauge or logger, although that would be the next step if money is no object.
                Just one at a time.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Maybe you can glean some info from here.
                  • 14.5-14.7 air fuel is maximum fuel mileage.
                  • 13.2 air fuel is maximum steady state rpm power.
                  • 12.7-12.9 is maximum acceleration power.

https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?164565-AFR-Info

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    Maybe you can glean some info from here.

https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?164565-AFR-Info[/URL]
                    Great information. Thank you!
                    Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                    2006 GSXR 750

Comment

And you might need to be even richer at idle, but you don't want to be that rich at low throttle cruising, which is also dictated by the pilot circuit. The air cooled engines run much hotter and have different requirements than water cooled engines. Leaner means hotter also. On gasoline engines at least, not diesel!
                      Closed throttle deceleration and closing throttle down to coast will show you much higher AFR readings, but this is fairly insignificant as the engine is not operating under a heavy load at those times.
                      It is the high RPM full throttle AFR readings that you need to pay attention to. Remember if you have direct linkage carbs, throttle position on your throttle grip is somewhat dependent on the RPM's that you are running. CV carbs do this calculating for you based on air velocity, with direct linkage carbs, you need to take the air velocity into account judging based on the RPMs and open the throttle appropriately on a direct linkage carb. Full throttle at 3500 RPM is not an ideal scenario, rolling on the throttle as the RPMs increase is. You can learn this just buy experience with the AFR gauge mounted, but you can also generally tell by the seat of the pants feel without the gauge.

on a CV carb, when monitoring the air fuel ratio, you don't really know exactly at what point you are at half throttle position or full throttle with the slide, since it operates on its own based on air velocity. That makes tuning CV carbs slightly trickier unless you are just holding it wide open and drag racing and just using it for the main jet, and pilot circuit low speed cruising adjustments.

I set mine for high 12's, but that was several years ago and my bike has undergone a lot of changes since then. BUT... high altitude passes did not like that so well when I was tuned for 900 feet and was cruising 4000 to 6000 feet elevation... I actually had to abort a few passing attempts on the Blue Ridge Parkway because I feared I would run out of room before the corners, as I was down 30% on power approximately.
                      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                      '79 GS425stock
                      PROJECTS:
                      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                      X