Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Period Brake and Wheel Modifications/Upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Period Brake and Wheel Modifications/Upgrades?

I am currently restoring my 82 GS1100E to it's former glory. So far, I am rebuilding the fork with Race Tech springs and cartridge emulators, new seals and new bushings. The anti-dive will be eliminated and the damping rod modified. New shocks will be installed and new paint in the spring to eliminate the now ugly OEM job. So far, so good.

My goal is to improve its performance as far as possible while keeping the classic GS look. This means no new forks, 17" wheels, etc. I would like to upgrade the brakes to full twin or four piston units, however, with cast iron rotors to match if possible. I know this was done in the 80's when people raced these things and I would like to duplicate the work done back then. Can someone tell me what the hot upgrades were for brakes and rims back in the 80's? Probably Lockheed twin piston calipers? But I am at a loss as to wheel upgrades done and what other brakes and components were used. Any information would be very helpful.

Some historical references and help required here, please.

Thanks,
    Mark

Hello

The most common wheel upgrade was to use 18 inch "LESTER" mag wheels with cast iron rotors griped by "SINGLE PISTON" Lockheed calipers with Stainless lines with a fork brace for support along with relocated rear shock mounts.

LOG onto www.supershowevents.com and go to the musium link to veiw some restored superbikes such as Lang Hindles Kawasaki KZ1000 superbike and Art Robbins Yoshimura GS 1000 race bike. A full story on Art robins bike is interesting and full of nice pics that u can compare with your intended upgrades.

If you need real close up pics I will be happy to take some pics of both bikes at the upcomming show on December 4 ,04 or in Jan o5.

Best of luck, Archie
    archie@eagle.ca
    Post some pics of ur progress.

Comment

here is a direct link

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thanks for the links, that is the sort of thing I was looking for. The mags on Art Robbins' GS1000 look just like current GSXR wheels, all in flat black and 3 spoke. Maybe I will have to look at putting a set of those on the GS and keeping the conventional fork setup. I know a Bandit fork is about the same length as my GS unit...Hmmm.

Always more possibilites than there is time...

Mark

Comment

I'm doing the same sort of thing. Complete front end from a 88-92 GSX1100F Katana (mine's from a '90) bolts right up, same offset, head bearings, and fork-tube length. Too easy.

I'll be running '87 GSX-R1100 wheels & brakes. Axles are the same size as '80-'83 GS1100's (and GSX1100F Kats).
          6-spoke "old-school" look, like the '83 wheels.
          18 x 2.75 front (w/ floating rotors & 4-piston calipers). Metzeler ME Z2 radial, 110/80-18, lot's of other radials available in this size.
          18 x 4.00 rear. Pirelli MTR04 Dragon radial, 150/60-18, but I understand a 160/60 (more common size) will fit w/o pinching it too bad.
          You will need to clearance the swingarm a bit inside, or use a longer chain and adjust it farther back

Ted

Comment

Hi Mark,

Following may be what you want, is it? It is still live.

Addy

Comment

Hi Mark,

Following may be what you want, is it? It is still live.

Addy

Comment

18" Dymags were the full zoot hot poop setup

Comment

Working...
                X