Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want more power but with a good smooth curve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I checked the jetting tonight, so here it is:

idle jet = 17.5
    main jet = 135
    idle screws are 3/4 of a turn out
    needle is on the 3rd notch, with a washer under the clip

Good luck

Comment

anyone made any progress yet.....?

Im too busy doing up the house to be bothered with my bike.
      Its summer here at present but you wouldnt know it so why bother

Comment

Well...

Changed to RS40, cam timing 110 deg and an other exhaust, V&H SSR2 last week.

The mid range is far better now, as you know we have winter here now, so the bike is only tested on the dyno yet.

I don't know if it was the cam timing or the RS40 switch (or both) that did the trick.

The exhaust change is more because the megaphone sounded terrible, but you never know....

With RS 36:

With RS40:

I lost power at low range with the RS40 and gained some, but not much at high end, the big difference is the midrange.

The engine is not missfireing at 5000 rpm any more.

I plan to stick with the RS40.....

Comment

Thanks KZ,

That is far more than I expected!!

Obviously it was more the pipe than anything else!!!
          Who would have thought that.

Gives me something to go on............

Comment

First testride on the street today, the engine beahaives completely different in the midrange.

I don't know it was the carb-switch, exhaustchange or the different cam-timing that did the trick, or if it was all three togheter.

Comment

hole in midrange

My vote is that the pipe is the majority of your problem. You have major reversion because the pipe, cam, heads, and carbs are working against each other in that rpm range. Thats why you mixture readings are so rich at the rpm where you tourqe takes a dip. I assume that the bike is a pro street drag style bike based on your choice of a pipe. Something a little more moderate might make a better street pipe. For the record 4-2-1 pipes always make broader power. 4-1's have been popular because they are easy and cheap to make because they only have one collector vs three on a 4-2-1. Look at the pipe on a 2004 Gsxr1000(or any modern sport bike) That bike makes mega power in stock form and it has a 4-2-1 for a reason, it is a better design. 4-1's are popular in drag racing because they make the best peak power, but not by much. What they give up in midrange is not worth what they gain on top for a street bike or even a racebike that does more than 1320 feet at a time. Hindle makes nice 4-2-1 pipes for the early GSXR's that can be adapted to the GS bikes. They may even make one for the Gs bikes but i am not sure.

Comment

Working...
              X