2002 cbr 954 forks direct bolt on for gs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katman
    I see. the bearing is up at the threads. ok, so why doesn't the bearing seat? if it is sitting high on the stem it should still seat fully to the top race.
    It does seat fully on the top outside bearing race. It sounds like I didn't explain the pic fully. Take a look at the 954 stem.

The area that the masking tape covers is where the inside bearing race sits on the stem. (I made the measurements with the stem on and measured from the top of the stem to the top of the inside race.) The machined area is a slightly larger diameter than the threaded area so the inside bearing race is only making positive contact on less than half the intended area (pen line and to the left).

Now if you look at the GSXR stem - I made the same measurement.

Notice that the bearing race sits much further down on the machined area where it was intended to sit.

If yours fits further down the shaft than mine, then the only reason I can think of why is that your steering head is shorter from top to bottom. This would allow the 954 bearing race to rest properly.

I'm don't really know the forces on that area of the shaft so I can't say that it will or will not be a problem. I just don't feel comfortable using it this way.

I'll use what I have for now and look into putting a CAD program together to machine a top triple for the GS/GSXR combo at a later date.

BTW, ask any questions. I'm trying not to overlook anything here.

Comment

ok Swanny,

I just pulled mine apart and see what you are talking about....Mine sits about 1/2 on the threads, 1/2 below when it is all tightened up. I checked it on the bike with weighted and the top of the race is about 5mm below threads and the race is 12mm wide. Good catch I didn't notice that when installing.

I am happy with it though since the threads are the same od as the machined solid area.

I do see what you are saying and understand your concern.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Swanny,

wouldn't it be easier to have another stem turned? than a top triple?
        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I wonder if the stem could be filled with weld and turned to bring the seating area up? or will the heat weaken the stem?
          an question for an expert.

Can the stems be switched?

I now a super bike buddy has had a few stems made for his yosh triple set. He has put them on several race bikes. I can ask the dude that has been doing them what he would charge to make up a better stem for our triples...I would have one done too to bring the cost down abit.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman
            ok Swanny,

I just pulled mine apart and see what you are talking about....Mine sits about 1/2 on the threads, 1/2 below when it is all tightened up. I checked it on the bike with weighted and the top of the race is about 5mm below threads and the race is 12mm wide. Good catch I didn't notice that when installing.

I am happy with it though since the threads are the same od as the machined solid area.

I do see what you are saying and understand your concern.
            I made a measurement of this area also as that was my first thought. They aren't the same. There is a bout a 0.005" difference between the two areas.

Can the stems be switched?
            Even if they could you couldn't use the 954 upper with the GSXR stem, which kind of kills that idea.

I now a super bike buddy has had a few stems made for his yosh triple set. He has put them on several race bikes. I can ask the dude that has been doing them what he would charge to make up a better stem for our triples...I would have one done too to bring the cost down abit.
            Did you ever approach him on this yet?

As an alternative method I'm going to build a CAD program to have an upper triple cut for the GSXR stem. It will require a top and bottom cut so it will be fairly expensive (I think). I've had other stuff done but nothing this complex.

Just checking out the options.

Comment

top bearing

Hi Swammy. The bottom bearing takes the overwhealming majority of the load, look at how beefy the bottom tripple clamp is compared to the top. Once you tie the top bearing to the bottom bearing that reduction in purchase area for the top race means nada.You could run a top bearing of half the width of stock in the top of the steering head using only the purchase area you have now and it would be fine. You could even run a half width ball bearing up there and it would be fine. If you want to get supertecnical you are correct, but if you decide to run the 954 stem it wont give you a problem because the race will have enough support as is to eliminate any chance of rocking. There is no way it can move, it would have to break the race first. Try it and see, it wont give you a problem. Steve

Comment

Re: top bearing

Originally posted by maru
                Hi Swammy. The bottom bearing takes the overwhealming majority of the load, look at how beefy the bottom tripple clamp is compared to the top. Once you tie the top bearing to the bottom bearing that reduction in purchase area for the top race means nada.You could run a top bearing of half the width of stock in the top of the steering head using only the purchase area you have now and it would be fine. You could even run a half width ball bearing up there and it would be fine. If you want to get supertecnical you are correct, but if you decide to run the 954 stem it wont give you a problem because the race will have enough support as is to eliminate any chance of rocking. There is no way it can move, it would have to break the race first. Try it and see, it wont give you a problem. Steve
                That's what I was looking for. It makes sense that the lower is taking the majority of the load. I can get anal at times.

Comment

Working...
                X