Braking power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braking power

I was wondering if anyone out there has some tips for boosting the braking power on my GS1100GL. I have plenty of cage drivers out here in Florida who have no business driving since they took got their liscense on Horse and Buggy. Also have some quick lights and would love to be able to brake versus throttle up, cops feel the same way also. Funny you never think about stopping that extra horsepower till your felling like an ass sitting in the middle of an intersection.

Well.. If you aren;t locking up the front wheel yet, you aren't squeezing hard enough :-) The bike should have enough power to do a stoppie.

If you're asking for more braking with less effort, I suppose you could dig up a brake master cylinder with a smaller diameter, that would give you stronger braking. Or you could replace you calipers with one that have more aera. Or you could just swap gsxr brakes on. Mind you that wit hthe last two options you will at least need new brake caliper brackets made. :-) But that seems to be a fairly cheap/common modification.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Make sure you're not getting flex in your brake lines first. If they are old, go ahead and replace them with braided stainless steel. You'd be amazed how much pressure you lose to flexing in the hose walls.

If your brakes won't lock up under heavy pressure, you need to check them out. Once they do lock up, more pressure is not necessary unless you are a racer and can properly modulate them by hand.

Your brake power is also directly connected to the rubber on the road. Make sure you've got good grip. (Fresh, quality tires)

Remember, Too much brake pressure will only cause you to lock up sooner, so be careful.

Comment

I was wondering if anyone out there has some tips for boosting the braking power on my GS1100GL.
        1) New pads. Try some higher performance stuff from EBC or Ferodo and properly bed them in.

2) Braided Stainless Lines. These are a huge improvement in feel and power over the stock lines. You will be amazed at the change.

3) A serious bleeding session. This should be done yearly anyway, to keep things fresh. If you have an anti-dive system like my 1100E has, get rid of it. The thing is useless (actually it's worse than useless, so it's a negative) and is a major PITA to get it bled properly.

Mark

Comment

hey just go out and get one of those new sportbike's and then you can take off doing a wheelie, past the old cager then wait until the last minute and hit the brakes and let the rear tire come off the ground 5 feet. That will get their attention, cops too.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
          X