Extended swingarm on the street - GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended swingarm on the street - GS1100

Hey everyone, this is my first post. Any help is appreciated.

I have the opportunity to buy one of two swingarms from a fellow racer to fit onto my 1982 GS1100. One would make the bike approx. 64", while the other would stretch it to 68".

For next year, the plan is to keep the bike fully streetable (I will ride it to work and to the track) and then race it at the dragstrip. My question is, how much will the 68" wheelbase affect the street manners of this bike? Will I have clearance issues? It will not be lowered, though lengthening the wheelbase will lower the bike somewhat. It has a GSXR front end and I will strap the front end at the track. Otherwise I don't plan to lower it since it will see a lot of street riding. I also haven't decided on an exhaust yet.

Any advice on how handling/cornering might be affected with the long swingarm? I am favouring the long arm because in a year or two this bike will see only strip duty and will be built as a Shootout-style bike (68" wheelbase, street tire, no bars, nitrous).

Thanks for any info!

Graeme

Peterbilts will be passing you on the inside of corners

It will be stable in a straight line, but cornering will be adversly affected.
    Meaning it won't corner very well.

How much can you move the axle front to back in the adjuster slot, or axle slot? 4 inches?
    You could move it forward for street riding and slide it back for drags.
    This would require swapping chains....
    And I'm sure you will be altering gearing for drag racing.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I rode a 68 inch bike on the street for years....It will be fine as long as you adjut your riding style...No more hot roddding corners...but for the average ride back and forth to work...You will be fine..My bike was also raked and lowered quite a bit...
      EULC ON

Comment

My 83 gs is 68" and I run short shocks and the V&H "PCO" pipe.This pipe actually allows more corner clearance than the cheaper pro pipe. Steve

Comment

Thanks for the input guys... sounds like I am going to go with the 68" setup.

Graeme

Comment

Working...
          X