Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New rings and valves without removing the motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New rings and valves without removing the motor?

Hi all.
    I was going to buy a '79 GS850 from a guy but he was really in love with it and had sunk a bundle into it without getting it fixed. He had one when he was younger and had bought this one to fix 'n' ride.

Anyway, I said I'd take a look at it.

It's leaking past both the rings and the valves.
    Is there a way to lift the cylinders off without removing the motor or am I just going to have more trouble than it's worth trying it that way.

Thanks to all for any advice!!

p.s. Remeber Patti and post good thoughts to her.

Damn!! Wrong section...

Oops.
    Sorry....

Comment

I'm not sure on the older motors, but I currently have the head and block off my engine with the case still in the frame, no problems at all.

Comment

The whole top end can come off in the frame

Comment

I just had to remove the seat, tank, fairing, cam cover, then head, then block.

all that has to come off anyway to remove the motor so less steps to leave it in the frame. (but not as much room to work)

83 1100 katana
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

On the ESD, I have to pull the head to get enough room to pull the block. The 1150 has more room to the to rails and I can pull the motor without pulling the head. One MY different.

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy
              On the ESD, I have to pull the head to get enough room to pull the block. The 1150 has more room to the to rails and I can pull the motor without pulling the head. One MY different.
              OK??? how would you pull the block without removing the head??lol

On the 1100E and katana's you only have to remove the little breather cap on top of the cam cover to remove the motor.
              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

You only need to remove either the rocker cover or the sump to remove either the 1150 motor or a Katana motor, I have done both.
                Dink

Comment

Thanks for the tips, folks. ("folks" can be both guys and girls, right?)
                  I got some more info in the Tech section too!

Comment

Originally posted by katman
                    OK??? how would you pull the block without removing the head??lol
                    LOL, I guess they are kinda stuck together...

Comment

Working...
                    X