Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1100E exhaust swap, I think its gonna work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100E exhaust swap, I think its gonna work!

Hey all,
    my ebay purchased Yosh exhaust from a 88-93 GSX1100F arrived today, and I spent some time looking it over and mocking it up on my bike and I think it is going to turn out well.
    I am taking lots o pics and I am going to witie it up when it comes together.

A couple of points of note:
    the diameter of tthe flanges is smaller than my 83 1100E (41mm vs 45m) but I have solutions:
    1. the half sleeves from the stock middle exhaust flanges are just the right size to make up the diameter and fit the headers in snuggly. Does anyone know where I can find 4 more of them?
    2. I have ordered a set of eight custom copper gaskets 0.125 inch thick,
    45mm OD, 31mm ID ( I figure that if I need extra thickness I can use 2 per cylinder. I ordered them from http://www.coppergaskets.us/index.html for $2.0 apiece, plus a couple dollars for shipping. The guy took my dimensions and was very helpful.

Next.. as Swanny has noted in the past, the bolt spacing on my 1100E is a few mm wider than the GSX1100F's, I am going to slot them out and add a washer to each bolt to spread the clamping force.

next ..The middle two header pipes are a really tight fit across the horizontal frame brace in fronty of the motor. I am going to massage the pipes (with my massaging hammer) at that point. I will also have to route the oil cooler line caerfully as well.

next. . the mid pipe will need to be shortened, the more the better, but very doable. This will determine the length of the bracket for the canister, but this too looks to be pretty simple to do, and make unobtrisive

Pics and write up soon,

Derrick

Well I have thexhaust on, and it sounds great, now on to the jetting issue.

here is a link to the current state of the build, with the Yoshimura exhaust from a 92 GSX1100F, and the in progress fairing from a 84 1150.

I tried to document the entire project and will post a write up and more pics as soon as I get the labor done.

Derrick

Comment

The pic is a little dark but it looks good.
      1982 GS1000S Katana
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

I just took off a V&H exhaust system Wife's 89 GSX1100FJ Katana.

I installed a nice NOS SS Yoshimiru w/Carbon Fiber Canister.

Gonna take her old one and mock it to mine.

Found the same problem your describing about the port diff.

A writeup would be nice when you get the chance, w/pics.

I can host a page with pics & writeup for you, on my Site.

Let me know, looking good.

Peace,
        Busafied

busafied@busafied.com

Comment

Hey Busafied,
          I will try to put together a rough draft tonight and email it to you, microsoft word format ok with you?

Derrick

Comment

that's fine, I will get to it in a few dyas, fixing to go to a jobsite tommorrow and wont be back till late.

Comment

Busafied,
              Got kind of busy working on my fariring, might be a few days before I finish the draft,
              sorry for the delay,
              Derrick

ps; whre about is mesquite? I may be moving to Temple this may to start residency?

Comment

No rush man, I am swamped too.

Mesquite is on the East Side of Dallas, on the outer loop (635)

Comment

Working...
                X