After market rims for GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After market rims for GS

What do you guys think about these aftermarket rims? I have thinking about upgrading but have been considering used rims from newer bikes, watching ebay etc. Recently I have been looking around the web and emailed 2 companies to see if they made rims to fit vintage bikes. Both EPM and Dymag responded stating rims are available that will bolt on and use existing hardware.

EPM has some nice rims shown here. I like these and they have some good sizes available.

Dymag refered me to the 3 spoke classic and 3 spoke cast wheels. Dymag supplies cush drive and sprocket so I chain conversion may be necessary. Dymags are here.

The following is from the Dymag site and is interesting reading about the effect of reducing the wheel weight versus body weight.

Reducing unsprung mass (Wheels, discs etc) has a far greater performance benefit than reducing sprung mass (bodywork etc). In racing, some designers use a factor of eight. For example, saving 1kg on a wheel weight gaives the same performance gain as saving 8kg of sprung weight. This is due to the following benefits :

Braking/Acceleration

The force required to start a wheel rolling (moment of inertia) increases with the mass of the wheel. The same is true of the force required to stop a wheel, and so reducing the wheels weight, improves acceleration and braking efficiency. Since less energy is required to start and stop the bike, fuel efficiency also improves, but is not often noticed sa the rider simply goes faster!.

Gyroscopic effect :

Reducing the wheel mass, also reduces the gyroscopic effect of the wheel. When a wheel is spinning, it is very difficult to make it change direction, but the lower the mass of the wheel, the easier it is to flick from side to side. Try holding a front wheel at arms length via a spindle, spin it and then simulate diving in and out of a corner. The effort required is considerable, but it becomes significantly easier as the wheel mass reduces. Consequently, this has a major effect on the handling of a motorcyle.

Radius of Gyration :

This is more a function of wheel design rather than pure weight reduction, but the two are inextricably linked. The mass of a wheel is deemed to act at a certain radius from the center of the wheel (radius of gyration). In order to improve the performance of the wheel, the designer will try to reduce this radius, so that it acts as close to the wheel center as possible.

To demostrate this, try swinging a weight on a pice of string around your head. The shorter the string, the easier it is to swing. Hence reducing the radius of gyration, improves the manoeuvrability of the motorcycle. This is achieved by lightening the rim as this is on the extreme radius, and designing the spoke system with minimal weight at the extreme, whilst maintaining the required strength and stiffness.

In order to achieve the ultimate wheel, material choice is also crucial. Magnesium has the highest strength to weight ratio of any metal, and is only surpassed by Carbon Fibre. Hence all modern high performance wheels tend to use these materials. Dymag carbon wheels have achieved the tough German TUV standard for road use. This is a testament to the correct use of materials and design, enabling Dymag to make a race weight product, which conforms to British, Japanese and German roads standards.

In summary, the two main features of a high performance wheel are weight and stiffness. Both are important as the wheel needs to be as light as possible for the above reasons, but it also needs to be stiff to give crisp handling. If the wheel flexes, the tyre contact patch also changes, which can result in less predictable handling. These two features need to be married to a good design, which follows established engineering principles, to produce the optimum product for any given application

Check my math but if reduction of 1kg of wheel weight compares to a reduction of 8kg of body weight and 1kg = 2.2 lbs then if you reduced your combined tire/rim weight by about 9kg or 19.8 lbs (which seems reasonable) that would be about 160lbs of body weight!!!

Before you get too exited though they cost upwards of $2200.00 for a set of the EPM?s
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

the light weight wheels are nice but i personally would opt for gsxr or haybusa wheels, they i believe are slightly lighter than the stock gs 1100 wheels (with all the hardwear, brake discs etc) but they are no where near as light as say dynamag wheels, but most of the time i look at the $$, thtas just my opinion though...oh gsxr 1000 wheels are about 6lbs lighter than the hayabusa wheels....it all depends on what you are doing with the bike, good luck with the decision...richie

Comment

Dymag are the business, but they really cost!
      If money was no object I would buy Dymag, but sadly I don't have that sort of loose change so I am stuck with using cheaper (a lot cheaper!) stock wheels.

Comment

Do you really have the money to purchase these??? 8O 8O 8O 8O
        If you do, either one of them will be GREAT!

Comment

I have some PM's on my Katana. They were on it when I bought it. They are the spun aluminum type and are pretty light. They look great too. The only problem is cleaning the centers.

Comment

I would like to get them but don't really have the spare cash...I am just looking to see what is available. I have other more pressing priorities.
            1982 GS1000S Katana
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

dymags

Dymags are nice wheels but as it has already been said they are expensive. what has not been said is how brittle magnesium is. It is stron, especially for its weight, but they are unlikely to hold up in the real world in day to day street riding. If you look at the latest sport bikes, you will se that they have gone to amazing lenghts to reduce weight. The gsxr1000 even comes stock with a titanium collector. Many of the new bikes have titanium hardware and even aluminum bolts in non stress areas. None of the current sport bikes have magnesium wheels and there is a reason for this, durability. A freind of mine had a set of Dymags on a roadracer in 1983 and they eventually developed leaks due to hairline cracks. This was temporarily repaired with an epoxy sealer but they were eventually junked. Stick with GSXr rims, they are cheaper and more practical.

Comment

Working...
              X