Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home-grown GS (X) 1100 turbo *DYNOSHEET*

Hiya Guys,
    I've been working on my GS 7/11 to get more power over winter. Some of you on this board have noticed this and asked for more info, so here it is. It wasn't easy and it wasn't cheap, and I'm still ironing out hefty carb problems, but hey this is a unique bike: My home-grown turbo. Please find a complete story on my webpage.

Here is a picture of the bike just after the first testride. The sidepanels are off to be able to keep things in check, and the front mudguard needs an upgrade. Also a big aircleaner has been installed since.

Hope you enjoy, Marco.

Looks Great man!! 8)

Comment

now that's a 'guiliari' saddle ! great looking machine marco....h.g.

Comment

Love the bike, nice job!

Comment

Looks great! Lotta work there! Congrat's!
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Looks like a true blast from the past man
            I already saved pics of your bike from your earlier posts.

Is the turbo already on there? I don't see it if so. You have it tucked away nicely. Is it midship or bottom mounted?

Comment

Methinks the turbo is right in front of the exhaust muffler and short "lead-in" pipe.

How loud is the setup? Curious.

AND VERY nice looking bike. Has swingarm and rim updates too.

Sweet. - Dieter

Comment

Marcovandevelde....

Did you do frame bracing too?

I read on this site a brace for the rear engine mount. If you didn't look into it...... - Dieter

Comment

Tony,

I can't answer for the above bike but locally I've seen a Hayabusa turbo with the turbo connected to the header and a small lead-in pipe going to an intake plenum / small exhaust pipe coming from the turbo and no muffler and its not nearly as loud as my CBR with an m4 full system. The hiss it makes while shifting gears is wicked though!

Comment

Beautiful work Marco, soooo..... my big questions are 1. how does it ride?
                    2. Do you get a lot of heat through the seat from the turbo?

thanks,
                    Derrick

Comment

not to rain on your parade, but should you not be using a top end oiler with the APE HD studs?
                      Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
                      2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

sweet! I'd love to turbo my bike.....heck, I would just like to get the motor rebuilt.

Comment

I would be VERY interested in seeing some more details on your bike. For starters, how did you make the manifold. What material? I looks almost like a glass casting or all glass.

How do you control the fuel pressure to the carbs? What fuel pump are you using? What kind of manifold pressures are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline_Racing
                            not to rain on your parade, but should you not be using a top end oiler with the APE HD studs?
                            While both are nice, I think you can get away without either for a while. I have the HD studs, but not the top end oiler, and it held together for a long time with 200hp with nitrous running. Granted, a turbo runs all the time, and will be a bit harder on things.

Comment

answers

Hi Guys,
                              Thanks for your overwhelming response, Although a lot is explained on the webpage, I'll try to answer as good as possible:
                              1)HOOMGAR The turbo is indeed midship mounted, you can look at a detailed pic on the webpage
                              2)TONYDIETER The setup is not very loud, it's even quiet. This is because I use a VNT which closes its vanes on idle and only opens on revs.
                              3)TONYDIETER It has extensive frame bracing to cope with the torque. And very strong custom-made rear mounts.
                              4)TODDB3 Ooh yes, the hiss at shifing is what makes the little hairs in your neck curl... I hoped for some more whining from the turbo itself, but unfortunately it's very quiet.
                              5)DERRICK C Because of the modern suspension parts, the roadholding is very good, comparable with my CBR1000F. A bit heavy and slow-steering maybe. The turbo starts delivering smoothly from 4500 rpm onwards and then at 8000 rpm it's time to really hold on.. The turbo is still some distance from the seat and you don't feel its heat.
                              6)FLATLINE RACING I agree with Ihanscom about the neccessity of top end oilers.
                              7)LECROY I made a glassfibre/carbon/epoxy plenum (airbox) I'll add some extra pictures of it to my webpage. The stuff used is also listed. The trick is to put dynamic pressure onto the floatbowls, so you are able to get the fuel into the carbbodies instead of it being blow out. You can see the ''Pitot-tube'' for it in one of the shots. The connections need to be very leaktight for good results. I use 98 RON fuel, but will try 95 later.
                              8)Actually, a turbo engine doesn't become as hot on the streets as one might think. One uses lower compression (1:7.9) for turbos and this keeps temp down in relation to a Wiseco 1:10.25 comp.

Webpage: http://home.wanadoo.nl/marcovandevelde/turbo%20GSX.htm

Greetz, Marco.

Comment

Working...
                              X