battery help part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery help part 2

sorry for the double post but maybe some of you drag and street fighter guys have some good ideas for me.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

first timer

Use a "shell within a shell" to protect the battery if you can fit one. Keeps any item much cooler.

You listed the parameters you need

1) mechanical dimensions

2) electrical parameters.

14 AH means it will give you 14 amps for 1 hour. or 1 amp for 14 hours.

Put an ammeter in series with the red cable and read the current when you rev. the bike. That will give you an idea how long you can run off the battery. A lower AH shortens that length of time. Keep in mind that that rating doesn't include the fact that most bikes will not run below a certain voltage...long before the battery has met it's AH rating.

The other posts you got are basically correct.

CCA is cold cranking amps. It is the amps put out when basically you short the battery in cold temp. whatever that temp is.

A smaller battery will work such as the one you mentioned. However, it won't last as long as the correct size since it will "cycle" or discharge/charge more.

If you put the regulator mod on the motorcycle, however, I would imagine this would improve the health of any battery put on your bike over the stock system.

Are you trying to lower the center of gravity and put in a different airbox?

Comment

i am just trying to hide the battery from view but lowering the center of gravity helps too.

i have been thinking about useing a ODYSSEY Drycell battery but i think i will need to call them and see what they think. any opinions about this?

tony you think a gsxr 600 battery would work for me, granted it i won't be able to keep cranking the engine tons to turn it over, but if i can get maybe a year or two out of it then i'll be happy.

So basiclly i just need to focus on cranking amps, probly from 170-200 CCA, i am not planing on running the motor on just the battery, basiclly if the stator goes when i am out riding i wouldn't be able to get back home anyway. i am also planing on doing the relay trick, i did it to my 550 and found a extra volt, i went thru my harness and all the wires and conections are good too so that is in my favor.

i was worried that if i used a smaller battery i would screw up my electricall system.

i was orginally i was just thinking of using some aluminum as a heat sheild but i think this 2 layer approach would be better, maybe even spray in a little great stuff between the layers too. i will need to see how the battery fits and what i can do to work around that.

i will save mounting my rear caliper upside down for another day..... another post.

-ryan
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x

Comment

bump

Comment

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PgDeAnYSHjyf!!2Bo2UHkkJAmkmco29AETIsrvw8MYa6T*LUM qehPUYNOpEgt!zce8xcKQ5nvdtyiDX*UbojhkQy2dnlabsG/cr2.jpg?dc=4675386296634925235

Comment

thats a stock battery and it hangs to low for my needs.

but it proves it can be done.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PgDeAnYSHjyf!!2Bo2UHkkJAmkmco29AETIsrvw8MYa6T*LUM qehPUYNOpEgt!zce8xcKQ5nvdtyiDX*UbojhkQy2dnlabsG/cr2.jpg[/img]

ryan
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x

Comment

What about putting it in the tail?

Comment

tail is going to be my storeage area

-ryan
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x

Comment

Working...
                X