Slotted Cam Sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slotted Cam Sprockets

I am going to install slotted sprockets this spring. The only question is whether I get the existing ones slotted or buy a new set. I can get the existing ones slotted for $80-$100CDN at a local shop. What does a new set of sprockets cost and where would one go to find them?

Mark

I bought a set at www.starracing.com for about 55 US dollars plus shipping. I just checked the site and they are 45 dollars.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

Re: Slotted Cam Sprockets

Originally posted by mark m
      I am going to install slotted sprockets this spring. The only question is whether I get the existing ones slotted or buy a new set. I can get the existing ones slotted for $80-$100CDN at a local shop. What does a new set of sprockets cost and where would one go to find them?

Mark
      I wish I could charge that kind of money to slot cam wheels!
      That would be a ?25.00 job in our machine shop! (46$US or 58$CDN)

Comment

I wish I could charge that kind of money to slot cam wheels!
        That would be a ?25.00 job in our machine shop! (46$US or 58$CDN)
        Well, the guesstimate over the phone was 1-1.5hrs @ $60/hr. So if things went well that day, it could be a little as $60. If things didn't go well it could also be close to $100...

Pano, thanks for the tip. I am checking on shipping to Canada and if it is OK, I will probably buy them from Star.

Mark

Comment

FWIW, when I try'ed to use my oem cam sprockets on a set of G4 cams the bolt hole were to small. I had to buy the slotted one's and they had the bigger hole. I got them from Schnitz's racing for 45 bucks plus 8 for shipping in the U.S.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Hello One very important thing to remember is that the couier that ships from Star racing in Florida is done ONLY by UPS and will cost you a min of $35.00 canadian upon the parts arrival at your door. I piad the $35.00 for the cam chian they sent to me last year. So make sure of all your inquireies about shipping before you order those "inexpensive parts" You may be better off ordering them from a canadian dealer.
            Best of luck Arhcie

Comment

I bought my slotted sprockets through Vance & Hines. About $50.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Hi guys, just do'em yourselfs. I bought a carbide bit from snap on and have used it for years' before that a file. It takes a while to get through the hardening and and time fitting, but it works for me. Same with auto cam chain tensioners for the GS1100-1150, I just convert the auto to manual, which is the other piece of the puzzle for cam timing.

Comment

Hello One very important thing to remember is that the couier that ships from Star racing in Florida is done ONLY by UPS and will cost you a min of $35.00 canadian upon the parts arrival at your door.
                  That's the part I am checking on. You only get burned by a "brokerage fee" once before you start asking about these things...

Hi guys, just do'em yourselfs. I bought a carbide bit from snap on and have used it for years' before that a file. It takes a while to get through the hardening and and time fitting, but it works for me.
                  I just don't have the time for that at the moment, or I would consider it.

You may be better off ordering them from a canadian dealer.
                  If I could find a dealer that had a listing for them, I would buy them local. So far nobody has anything like that for a bike more than a couple of years old.

Mark

Comment

Hi

Do it yourself,it takes half an hour to file the holes.
                    I used a round file.(the file to sharpen chain on a chainsaw)
                    And go to this adress to read how to adjust the cams.

Einar

Comment

Do it yourself,it takes half an hour to file the holes.
                      I used a round file.(the file to sharpen chain on a chainsaw)
                      And go to this adress to read how to adjust the cams.
                      OK, OK. After all of this peer pressure about doing them myself, I may just do that. Thanks for the link, I will go through it before I get to dgreeing them. This being my first time, I figure I can use all the help I can get.

I heard back from Star Racing, too. They will ship to Canada by USPS Priority Air service, 4-6 business days, for $8.00USD. So that is also attractive. I will have to think about it for a couple of days and see how much time I want to spend vs. money...

Does anybody happen to know what size the bolts are that hold the sprockets to the camshaft? And I assume that the sprockets are located by a pilot on the camshaft and the bolts merely clamp them in place, correct?

Mark

Comment

www.aperaceparts.com $44.95. They claim higher quality than stock.

Comment

Mark,

I have a set you can have for 25.00 canadian plus maybe 6 or 8 shipping

rob
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Originally posted by katman
                            Mark,

I have a set you can have for 25.00 canadian plus maybe 6 or 8 shipping

rob
                            If Mark doesn't want them I will have them please.

Comment

Working...
                            X