srping rates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

srping rates?

can anyone help me calculate the spring rate, that i will need, for swapping from my gs forks to some gsxr ones. since the gsxr is so much lighter, the wiegh of my 1100 will smash them a good amount

can anyone help me calculate the spring rate, that i will need, for swapping from my gs forks to some gsxr ones. since the gsxr is so much lighter, the wiegh of my 1100 will smash them a good amount
    Don't be too sure about the weight difference, the watercooled 1100's were very heavy at 570lb wet. No matter, those springs were too soft when they were new, anyway.

Check out:

Figure out your combined bike/rider weight (don't forget your riding gear) and follow the chart. Since Traxxion is mostly racing focused, you can easily step down one rate if you want a bit plusher ride. Their recommendations are for serious track use and can be a bit firm for a street bike. I have a set of 1.0kg/mm springs waiting to go into my 1100E forks when the rebuild is completed and you wouldn't go too far wrong with those unless you are really light (say <150lb).

Mark

Comment

well ill give that a try, and when u say realy light... im lighter.

Comment

well ill give that a try, and when u say realy light... im lighter.
        Then step down to the 0.95kg/mm springs or even 0.90kg/mm if you want a plush ride. It depends what you want. According to Race Tech, the stock spring rate is 0.44kg/mm 8O , so no matter what you do, it will be streets ahead of the OEM stuff.

Remember, with your GSXR forks you get easy preload adjustment, so you can compensate a bit if the rate is a touch too soft or firm. From my experience, a soft spring that is heavily preloaded to get correct sag gives a harsh ride over small bumps and tends to not absorb the big bumps well. A stiffer spring that is lightly preloaded seems to give a smoother ride on the small bumps and doesn't bottom easily over the big stuff.

For your set up, shoot for an unladen sag of 20mm and a laden sag of 35mm for the front and 10mm/25mm for the back. You may not achieve both the laden/unladen numbers together (often this is the case), and the laden number is the more important of the two if you can only get one correct.

Mark

Comment

Working...
        X