78 GS750 front end and swingarm swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS750 front end and swingarm swap

what are the steps involved in getting a gixxer frt end onto this bike?i hear it's not so easy with a 750. what about a early 80's gs 1100 swing arm, Katana 1100 from late 80's ,or a 93 gsxr1100 swingarm.Will a gsxr1300 frt end fit?Any help is apprieciated! :?

There are a couple of issues with the early GS750;

The rear swing arm spindle is 15mm (I think) but the GSX1100 (twin shock) ally arm has a 20mm spindle in common with most other Suzukis. There are two ways to go about this - either have some 'top hat' bushes made as Katman did for his Katana and use the 15mm spindle, or just drill the frame holes out bigger as I've done and use the 20mm spindle - there is plenty of meat around the hole! The width is OK.

The problem with the steering stem is that the GS has a much smaller lower bearing than the later Suzukis and the stem is longer than the GSXRs. It's probably best to get the GS750 stem pressed into a GSXR bottom yoke but that'll need machine shop work. It is possible to use a GSX600 (Katana) front end if you use a Yamaha XS750 bottom bearing (taper roller) as the stem is the right length. You'll need to alter the steering stop.
    This will give you 41mm forks, but you'll need to keep an eye on fork length or you'll end up wih no ground clearance!

Hope this helps!

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Bluetone
      There are a couple of issues with the early GS750;

The rear swing arm spindle is 15mm (I think) but the GSX1100 (twin shock) ally arm has a 20mm spindle in common with most other Suzukis. There are two ways to go about this - either have some 'top hat' bushes made as Katman did for his Katana and use the 15mm spindle, or just drill the frame holes out bigger as I've done and use the 20mm spindle - there is plenty of meat around the hole! The width is OK.

The problem with the steering stem is that the GS has a much smaller lower bearing than the later Suzukis and the stem is longer than the GSXRs. It's probably best to get the GS750 stem pressed into a GSXR bottom yoke but that'll need machine shop work. It is possible to use a GSX600 (Katana) front end if you use a Yamaha XS750 bottom bearing (taper roller) as the stem is the right length. You'll need to alter the steering stop.
      This will give you 41mm forks, but you'll need to keep an eye on fork length or you'll end up wih no ground clearance!

Hope this helps!

Tony

excellent post, the photo below shows the difference in fork length between my '83 GS750ED (37mm tubes) and my replacement '93 Katana 750 (41mm tubes).

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

Comment

78 GS

will a 93 gsxr 1100 swing arm fit if i weld shock mounts or struts to it?will a 99 kat 750 front end work instead of 600?i need to know soon. thanks guys!!!!!

Comment

Try asking over on www.oldskoolsuzuki.info, they're into more modern running gear over there!

My front end is off a GSX600 (Kat) from 1988 - one of the first one's, I don't know enough about them to say whether the '99 ones are the same.

Good Luck!

Tony

Comment

Working...
          X