It Lives!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Lives!!!

Just had to share my joy, after a winter of taking my bike apart, and getting deeper into an engine then ever before (Replaced base and head gasket with copper, cleaned up all the carbon, and replaced all the exhaust valve seals). The engine is back together, and I got her started tonight. She started well too. Now I just have to do the little things, carb sync, put a rear shock back in (I'm going to wait a bit longer to get a heavier spring), put the headlight, and gauges back on, and go for a ride, hopefully tomorrow. \/

Way to go Luke. Nothing like hearing that first start up after a winter of quiet. Especially after doing work on her.
    Now just to get some warm temps, again. 8O 8O 8O 8O
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Nice. Gotta love when it comes together and fires right up! I currently am installing an oil cooler I got off e-bay. Just waiting for the new 1150 oil filter cover to come in from Bike Bandit. Also some new exhaust gaskets, a valve gover gasket, and all the seals and gasket for my cam chain tensioner. It's gonna be a week filled with fun after work wrenching.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

good job luke! it will be nice to have a reliable leak free motor . Now whens the first new england ride?

Comment

Tuesday. You coming?

Thanks all, got the carbs synched, just waiting for the wife to get home from Chicago (Monday night) to go for a ride. Of course we're supposed to have a number of inches of snow by then, but I'm not going to let something like that get in my way. :roll:

Comment

Ihanscom,

Good job, how many hours do you figure that took first time out?
            1982 GS1000S Katana
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

Just the engine stuff probably took 20 hours. Most of that was cleaning the cylinders and ports due to all the carbon buildup caused by burning oil. That time for me was split up over a long period (waiting to get money for the parts) so I may be off some.

Comment

Luke, did you hone your cyls and install new rings? How much, may I ask, did this project set you back $$ wise?
                Currently bikeless
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Is it going to handle the NOS now Luke?

Glad to hear you got it running

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                    Luke, did you hone your cyls and install new rings? How much, may I ask, did this project set you back $$ wise?
                    No, the rings and bores are only a couple years old, and look fine, it was just the valve seals that were a problem. The project was pretty cheap, about $100 for the copper base gasket, head gasket, valve seals, and a thing of gaskacinch. The rest was mostly time cleaning. I also opted to spend another bill on a new starter clutch, I just wish I had done it earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar

No NOS for me. The fuel pump I have was being finicky, so I'd have to get a new one of those, and I opted not to o-ring my block this time around, so nitrous might blow the gasket again. It probably could handle it, but I really need this bike to be reliable, so for now the kit will sit on the shelf. Someday I want to make this bike into a pure dragbike, and I'll be installing the kit again at that point. Until then, I'll just have to learn to cope.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                        Originally posted by Hoomgar

No NOS for me. The fuel pump I have was being finicky, so I'd have to get a new one of those, and I opted not to o-ring my block this time around, so nitrous might blow the gasket again. It probably could handle it, but I really need this bike to be reliable, so for now the kit will sit on the shelf. Someday I want to make this bike into a pure dragbike, and I'll be installing the kit again at that point. Until then, I'll just have to learn to cope.
                        Good call Luke. It has plenty of stomp for a streeter anyway man

Comment

Until then, I'll just have to learn to cope.
                          Yeah, I feel for ya buddy. That 1150 will be a turtle now :roll:
                          Currently bikeless

Comment

Man, I can just hear the trash talk from skip[ already
                            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                            2000 Kawasaki Concours
                            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
                              Man, I can just hear the trash talk from skip[ already
                              I found I had that problem after I got Kitty, the Tractor felt real slow.
                              Dink
                              can anyone say big-bore??

Comment

Working...
                              X