02 gsxr fork issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

02 gsxr fork issues

what are the major issues of installing an '02 gsxr 750 or 1000 frt.end??? i just got a '79 gs 1000 frame ,chromed '93 1100 wheels and rubber, gs 1100 swing arm, and a 1228 kit. can i get these forks on my bike?? i also have a '88 gsxr 1100 frt. end.would it be sufficiant?? I ride 10,000mi. a year, and drag race every week at least one or two nights.this should be a good combo for what i'm doing,don't you think. Maybe, Yes, or No. any suggestions are well recieved. you seem like an extreamely knowledgable group of people. thanks. 8)

02 forks

oh yea; i have .425 lift cams,the head is done. and i'm going to try to fit 93 kat 1100 carbs

Comment

Thats a nice setup you got there. The 02 front end is way to short and it has a different style bearing so it would be a waste of time to try to fit it. Just go with the 88 front end it's alot easier.

Comment

Re: 02 forks

Originally posted by gotjuice01
        oh yea; i have .425 lift cams,the head is done. and i'm going to try to fit 93 kat 1100 carbs
        If you can afford it, go for a set of Mikuni RS38 carbs. They work very well on my 1229, and I don't have that big a lift on my cams.

Comment

I have a 2000 GSXR 750 frontend on a 1981 GS 750 . It was easy to install and i dont think it is to short , i have also lowered the forks 2 more inchs[/img]

Comment

check the picture gallery under 1981 GS 750 Larry Taylor

Comment

larry t's 78

Man you and i are on the same page for sure!! Long and Low with the power to GO !!!! that bike is tight larry. I would like to talk to you alittl more. see my 1238 kit is a low compression kit,because... next winter it's getting a turbo. already have 2 turbos,not decided on which one to use.Oh, did i mention it,s also going to be a bottle baby!(this season for sure,maybe a little on the turbo also)(I'm an NX nitrous dealer)My last street fighter was a "K" brand w/1340cc turbo motor and juice.Anyways, thanks for input.I WILL be putting 02 gsxr 1000 frt. end on. it's just too cool looking not too! 8)

Comment

carbs

hey luke, thanks for input on carbs,i think i will look a little more now

Comment

GJ I asume the 1238 pistons are for a GS 1000 ? I raced a GS 1000 for years that was a 1026cc an old ATP turbocharger that ran a best of 5.37 @129mph.in the 1/8mile the engine was stock with the exception of the valve springs, pistons, modified KZ clutch basket and the crank was welded it had to make over 200 hp to go this quick E-Mail me if you have an questions TurboLT@aol.com

Comment

GS1000

yes it's a GS1000 that's been sleeved. I have a XN 85 suzuki turbo and a small 14b mitsu turbo.the mitsu is ported and clipped.I have an alum. intake box with the right spacing for the GS.And i race at dragway 42 in West Salem,OH. it's a 1/4 mi. track.i have a speed shop at the track i carry all kind of goodies at.My KZ1340 went 7.90 to 8.10 depending upon the launch.that's around 170-173mph.what a rush.woo!! What carbs do you reccomend?i was thinking 34-36's this year, then 40's when i turbo it.

Comment

forks

oh-yea, what are the issues involved when hanging an '02-'03 frt. end??spring is comming quick, running out of time!!!!

Comment

The engine in the GS 750 was in my Koenig prostock chassis it ran 5.17 134mph 1/8 mile.Should of went 8.10s in the 1/4 . What i did was press out the GSXR stem, you have to use the GS stem and bearings . The GS stem is a few thousands smaller at the bottom (its just a little loose) So I drilled and tapped two holes in the lower tripple and used set screws to tighten it up. On the top tripple i made a spacer to make up the differance between the stem and the tripple then you use the GS bolt. i think i used a GS 1000 stem that uses a bolt to hold it together. the GS 750-1100 uses a nut to hold it all together. I hope you can understand Larry

Comment

forks

thanks a bunch LT.Yea- it,s clear enough. I'll figure it out.My buddy just told me he's got a BUSA front end he wants to get rid of.think he said '03. that's what i think i'm going to use. already set up for a heavy bike and all, ya know! thanks agian LT.

Comment

2002 fork swap

Larrys bike looks great but it is a drag style bike. Anyone thinking about swapping the y2k gsxr forks into a GS with the idea of improved handling should flush that Idea right out or their minds. The fork is way too short and ground clearance is already an issue on these bikes due to their mile wide motors. Also the fork springs and dampening would need a major overhaul to work with a bike that weighs 550lbs. If that were not enough, they dont bolt on and have no provision for a speedometer drive. The 92 ish gsxr1100 fork bolts on, has provisions for speedometer drive. Is fairly long and is close in spring rate and dampening. The late model forks are plentiful and cheap on ebay but dont let this lead you to think you will get one on your bike and get it working decent and have it still be cheap. In the long run you will be much better off with the earlier fork and it wont cost anymore when the bill is finally tallied. Why go the hard way when an easier and better option is available? Be patient and get a complete early fork. It wil be worth the wait.

Comment

Maru How much ground clearance do you need ? in inches please_____ I have 6" now and the bike has been lowered 2" with the springs and lowered 1" at the triple clamp that 3" If you leave the stock thats 9 " Id think that would be enough. If you do need springs they dont cost that much.You are right about the speedo but how many H-D choppers have them? You are right about them bolting on If you are not able to press a GS stem in the lower triple and make a small bushing for the top clamp.To me this is a bolt on. BTW OJ01 said he rode on the street and drag raced not road raced Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X