02 gsxr fork issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No big deal

I just did this exact swap. The 750 front end is shorter, but was not a problem in my case since I lowered the whole bike.

The bearings slotted right in if you use the GS1000 race with the 750 bearings.

You will have to cut your fork stop about an inch and then weld on another one to the gs neck, or figure out how to modify the gsxr trees.

"That," said the cat, "is that."

Comment

ground clearance

First off, let me say that I think your bike is really nice. As for ground clearance, I am talking about dragging the motor on the ground in turns not dragging the exhaust over speed bumps. I roadraced a gs1000 in 78 and couldnt keep the cases off the ground with the stock ride height. I could not even imagine riding one of these things with two inches less. You don't have to be rideing too agresively on one of these things to run out of ground clearance, especially with modern 17 inch tires and the grip they provide. If you run these 2002 forks on one of these bikes and ride at all agressively with the stock springs you will be just about out of travel when you factor in cornering loads. Throw in a bump and you will bottom out the forks and you will be on the deck shortly thereafter. That is if you dont lever the front wheeel off the ground with the alternator cover first. If you crank up the preload big time to stop this, you will have no free sag and the bike will handle like *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$, I promise. I imagine folks upgrade their suspensions to improve performance, not go backwards. I have done a lot of these upgrades on many model Honda and Suzuki's and am just trying to give you the benefit of my experience. The early 92ish GSXr1100 forks are the easiest and best forks for these bikes. They bolt on, not almost bolt on. The late model forks are technically better forks. They are lighter, more rigid, have better internals, and have better brakes and lighter wheels. They still suck on the early bikes for anything other than drag racing on these early bikes.

Comment

OK as long as your Happy Im happy and like I said OJ01 is street riding and drag racing so he should have NO problems. I dont . Larry

Comment

Speedo is a none issue--I use a aftermarket programable digital speedo.It blows away any factory speedo!(look at my pics,you will see no gauges)You can buy one for between 30.00 and 119.00US dollars.Most measure 1.25x1.25 inches(31mmx31mm)My bike also has 6" clearance,and it's never been an issue.I want to go lower actually.And will once I get my new suspension mounted.

Comment

GJ01 Sorry I have been calling you OJ01. My front is low enough i just need a defferent spring for the back. Im at 11 " over and if I lower it any more the tire will rub when 2 people ride

Comment

Re: No big deal

[quote="dictator for life"]I just did this exact swap. The 750 front end is shorter, but was not a problem in my case since I lowered the whole bike.

I misread the original post. I am using a '92 750 front end, not a '02.

Comment

Working...
              X