Poor Man's Can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Man's Can

I'm still playing with my 83 gs1100e restoration. Plan engine wise, parts all in hand, to friggen cold to install. Dynojet kit, K&N pods, 4x1 headers installed, now the muffler(can). I have 3 choices, a stock TL1000 can, kinda quiet, a Mig Mini stunter carbon fiber, neighbors will love it, and I just got a stock carbon fiber off of an R1. I wanted to try the R1 for esthetics and performance, bike is black. Playing with the R1 can right now would be like putting your tongue on a flagpole, upstate NY.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Stiksave
    [url]http://photobucket.com/albums/v643/stiksave/

Nice bike. Go with the R1 carbon can. 8)

Comment

OK, how about performance mods fon an Ariens 8hp Snowblower?

LOL,
      Stiksave
      8)

Comment

Stiksave,

I'm playing with a stock 2000 RI carbon can right now myself. I have a Yosh header on my 82 GS1100e. I've grown tired of the noise level and the power band, which with my RS38 Flatsides seems best at top end. I'd like better mid range and I think the much larger, longer R1 can will be good for that. I've temporarily installed it and surprisingly to me after richening the needles it revs alot better but I haven't driven it yet.

The stock R1 can with its carbon /wire gasket will fit on the Yosh collector but you have to carve a little of the soft gasket away with a sharp knife. One of the good things about the carbon can is the hanger clamp is held in place by a rivet. If you grind/drill it away slowly you can get the rivet's head to release so you can move the clamp but not have the rivit fall back into the pipe. The best thing about stock R1 can is they're friggin give um away on ebay. I paid $25 an its in pristine condition.

I'm trying to find a way to put the 83 rear foot peg hangers (seen in 80gs1000e's picture below) on my 82. I'd like them to be about 3" higher than the stock location to hold the R1 pipe up a little higher.

When you look at his picture imagine that the lower mounting hole on the foot peg bracket is mounted to where the upper hole is bolted to the frame. I saw this done once on a streetfighter picture on the net but haven't quite figured out how they did it. I tried to make a braket extension out of 1/4" thick aluminum but that foot peg bracket makes a hell of a moment arm when some one puts all their weight on it to climb on board.

Good luck with your project. If someone wants the stainless steel look the FZ1 can will also fit (a Yosh collector). Forget either of these options if you like a loud can their both "stealth" quite.

T

Comment

It looks like the R1 will fit the header in the position that I'd like by cutting down the attached midpipe. That's the angle to hit the stock mount hole and leaving enough midpipe on in order to be able to keep the center stand. I"ll play with it soon, too cold now.

26 degrees and I blew a rear wheel cylander on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'll be in the garage with cold hands but not near the GS. I hate winter.

Thank, :?
          Stiksave

Comment

Stiksave,

Good luck with the car troubles!

If I'm understanding you correctly, keep in mind that as you shorten the mid pipe I think your going to be moving the front leading edge of the rather large diameter R1 can down and forward. When your leaned over in a right hand turn that looks to me to be the point most likely to touch down.

If you release the hanging strap on the can it allows you more ability to rotate the can and mid pipe into a higher, tighter into the bike position. The one draw back is that visually the hanger clamps looks a little far forward when mounted to the foot peg. Just something to think about before cutting.

I only put my center stand on when I'm working on the bike, just takes two bolts, and two minutes. It looks like the R1 pipe won't interfere with that. I would have to get more creative if I was goint to leave the center stand on all the time.

T

Comment

Not the wheel cylinder, the brake line rubbed against the shock and wore through. Easy fix, if the temp were higher. I'll take a look at the pipe tomorrow. I have to pop off the mini Mig first. I know what your saying about the right handers. I just don't want that black quarter keg looking out of place. If you get a chance and have a digi camera, let me see what you've got going so far.

Thanks,
              Stiksave

Comment

oem cans

I have been messing with 2002 ish oem GSXR 1000 cans of late.They are aluminum with Titanium internals. I have been using them on gsxr1100's with an aftermarket collector and custom midpipe. They are light, quiet, make surprising amounts of power and are available dirt cheap on ebay. I just got sick of hearing the racket of loud muflers ringing in my ears. The stock systems were heavy but my current system is light and makes power comparable to anything I have tried without the racket.

Comment

Me likey. I just got the R1 can installed and bracketed in. It still needs to be cleaned and polished. Very nice sound, clean rumble. Here's the url for a pic, http://photobucket.com/albums/v643/s...t=HPIM0432.jpg , excuse the mess. I'm in hurry up mode with the weather finaly breaking. I can work in the garage without gloves. How do you post a picture that appears with your post?

Thanks,
                  stiksave

Comment

Originally posted by stiksave
                    Me likey. I just got the R1 can installed and bracketed in. It still needs to be cleaned and polished. Very nice sound, clean rumble. Here's the url for a pic, http://photobucket.com/albums/v643/s...t=HPIM0432.jpg , excuse the mess. I'm in hurry up mode with the weather finaly breaking. I can work in the garage without gloves. How do you post a picture that appears with your post?

Thanks,
                    stiksave
                    With photobucket just copy the bottom code (IMG) on the thumbnail page and paste it right into your post:

|IMG|http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/stiksave/HPIM0432.jpg|/IMG| replace | with brackets

Comment

Brent,

Thanks,
                      Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X