Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offset sprockets + 630/530 info + 180/55/18 on GS1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offset sprockets + 630/530 info + 180/55/18 on GS1000?

I need help, I cant find much info on what I want to do:

60 or 80 spoke Harley 18x5.5 (or 4.25?) rear wheel
    offset chain to clear 180/55/18

I have measured and the brakes/axle are no big deal.

What is the max offset you can run on a 79 GS1000? 5/8? 7/8? I can notch and reinforce the frame if needed.... But I don't want to do the work if it is not needed.

I won a GS1100 Alum. Swing on ebay.... It has not arrived to test fitament with a 180 (the 200 I have laying around doesn't even come close to fitting in the stock 1000 swing.) I've heard it will clear a 190?

I also cant find out is if I need a 530 and offset front sprocket to clear that tire or if I can use a 630 and offset sprocket.

I have only found one place in the US that sells offset front sprockets and they are 630 (PMFR). The harley uses 530 so I'd have to make a rear sprocket adapter or call sprocket specialties....

Anyone have a offset sprocket or support for sale?

Will I break my trans/output shaft if I dont use a bearing support?

I know its a weird request but any help is appreciated. Thanks.

What are you trying to build??

Comment

As I understand it a 180/55 17" will fit in the 1100 aluminium swingarm, you will need 530 chain and sprockets, see Katman's thread on building his Katana for further info.
      Dink[/b]

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
        As I understand it a 180/55 17" will fit in the 1100 aluminium swingarm, you will need 530 chain and sprockets, see Katman's thread on building his Katana for further info.
        Dink[/b]
        Dink is right, I doubt a 18 incher would fit, it was a very tight fit for my 17" rim in the swingarm.

Comment

PMFR 's outboard bearing support kit is available with a 530 countershaft sprocket with 17 teeth.

Comment

I am building a street fighter... but I like the look of spoked wheels, and 17" 36 spoke wheels are hard to come by. I can buy a new 60 spoke 18x5.5 harley wheel for $165.00 shipped. Thats way cheaper than buying a custom spoke set and a rim and then spending the hour to lace it. I have a bunch of cb hubs (40 spoke) but none of them work with a disk on the back.

I'll put some pics on the forum after I weld the new petcock on the tank and mount it to the bike.

As for the swing I'll have to ruin the paint on it with the plasma, grinder, and tig welder :twisted:

Comment

Re: Offset sprockets + 630/530 info + 180/55/18 on GS1000?

Originally posted by philofab
              What is the max offset you can run on a 79 GS1000? 5/8? 7/8? I can notch and reinforce the frame if needed.... But I don't want to do the work if it is not needed.

Anyone have a offset sprocket or support for sale?

Will I break my trans/output shaft if I dont use a bearing support?

I know its a weird request but any help is appreciated. Thanks.
              What I did was cut the center piece out of an old front sprocket to use as a spacer......Put your good sprocket on the output shaft followed by the spacer and tighten the nut snugly. Tack weld the two in a few places than remove to finish welding.......Flip it over and install it... This keeps the load close to the cases for reliability and will allow you to move the chain out until it's rubbing the frame if necessary. This is how I did mine ,with some mild frame channeling, and I have an 8.5" drag slick that it barely clears......And it's dirt cheap.......BadBillyB

Comment

using another sprocket as a spacer only gives you a 3.8 offset (10mm) if you are going to use a 5.5 with a 180 you will need a 5/8 offset.

your 18" may work but your axle will be against the rear stops to clear the swingarm where it narrows at the front.

another possibility is using a bandit 1200 singarm. It has plenty of room and should fit in your frame with a couple new bushings.

good luck and just cause it is hard....don't go easy....make what you want, to work and be proud.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Hey Katman! Just the guy I wanted to talk to!

Have you gotten that Bandit swing mounted yet?

I think I will just clearence the inside front of my GS1100 swing when it gets here, just a little cutting and welding. Any suggestions for improvements? Should I add some rigidity to it or is that not an issue?

Also, what year 1100 forks are a bolt on? 89? Are those inverted or is it an improvement to go with the newer stuff?

Thanks man.

Comment

The inverted's came out on some 90's and up.

My bandit arm is in the frame but no shock mounts yet. I am tuning right now then I will get back to the arm.
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Im using a 3/8 offset sprocket 630 chain with a 6" hayabusa wheel and a 190 MT shootout tire on my GS 750/1394 . its lines up perfectly. And i didnt have to modify the frame to do this

Comment

are you kidding me????

I run 530 on a 5.5 180 and am tickling my frame and tire with a 5/8 offset.

What's goin on here?? is that busa wheel a 20mm axle? Are you using I would love to see some pics of how you did it. I wanted to put a 6/190 on mine but couldn't find the room.
                        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I had a 190 MT shootout tire on my 1150 and used a 5/8 offset sprocket..Even used the stock sprocket cover after it was gutted. It was a tight fit. We went over 160mph with it.

Before that I had a 160 on 5 inch rear wheel with the stock arm extended 3 inches.

I ran a 530 chain on both setups.

EULC ON

Comment

Katman Look in the gallery in the( 1981 Custom Larry Taylor ) the first GS1100 has a hayabusa wheel 530 chain NO offset except a washer to space it out. The wheel is in the swingarm a little off set cant remember how much.It does have the big axle in the wheel and a spacer tube to make the small axle work . I sold that one. Back to the gallery (1981 GS750 Larry Taylor) Hayabusa wheel , 630 chain , 3/8 offset ,stock cover and the big axle .The chain is close to the frame but dont hit it ,had to turn the master link to the inside

Comment

When I used a 5/8" offset, 530 chain, 2002 GSXR swingarm and wheel, I need to notch the frame about 1/4". The chain was hitting the frame before, not now. It's in an '80 GS1100E.

Comment

Working...
                              X