GS1100 Valve Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 Valve Job

Want to know the low down on doing a valve job,can I take it to a auto machine shop to do it? also can you do the guides yourself,whats the procedure on removing and installing the guides?

Let a proven motorcycle machine shop with a serdi do it. I have seen many a head ruined by car shops.

Comment

I just did a valve job on my 750 last year. Wasn't too bad but i had to have the valves taken out by a shop. I just ran it down the the Napa store and they took care of it pretty quick, pretty cheep too if i remember right. Just be careful lapping the valves that you get all of the compound off.

Comment

Aren't you just suppose to cut the valve seats, and let the valve seat itself when the engine first starts?

..or is this opening up a can of worms?

Comment

A properly cut head needs NO lapping. I regualrly assembled drag engines with no lapping with less than 1% leak down. A good shop with have a set up to test heads off the bike. Lapping is used when you have to try and fix a screw up. What you are doing is cutting a groove in the valve to try and seal a bad cut. Thats why I recommended a good machinist on a serdi. This is even more critical with a shim motor. Most car shops don`t realise how close you run on valve clearances and can easily sink the seats way to far in the head. Then you are screwed. :?

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris
            A properly cut head needs NO lapping. I regualrly assembled drag engines with no lapping with less than 1% leak down. A good shop with have a set up to test heads off the bike. Lapping is used when you have to try and fix a screw up. What you are doing is cutting a groove in the valve to try and seal a bad cut. Thats why I recommended a good machinist on a serdi. This is even more critical with a shim motor. Most car shops don`t realise how close you run on valve clearances and can easily sink the seats way to far in the head. Then you are screwed. :?
            Chris, we may not agree politically, but you are dead on here. 8)

Comment

Cylinder head mods

Vance and Hines in California did mine. Their phone number used to be 310-921-4966. They do all kinds of engine mods on GS1100s. I spent thousands of dollars and am very happy with their work. Request a catalog and you can see all of their services offered. Lots of extras too.

Comment

Check this out;

Don't believe Vance & Hines Ca. does this anymore. They now only make pipes.

Jay
                Speed Merchant
                http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Same J from HayabusaZone / SH.org??
                  Welcome aboard

Comment

Same
                    Speed Merchant
                    http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

I've been giving mine to a local race car engine builder. He couldn't believe what we pay bike shops for valve jobs. Said he was in the wrong business. Lots cheaper for the same service. You do have to be careful to tell them not to sink the valves. And he has to be willing to buy the right tools. There was a bunch of us that started taking heads to him so he bought the tooling he needed and researched the specs. Four of my friends all run deep into the 8's with heads he did. Our only mistake was telling him what we pay at bike shops and such. He soon jacked his price up on bike heads. So mums the word.

Comment

Working...
                      X