Supertrapp tunable disc exhausts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supertrapp tunable disc exhausts

Has anybody ever used or do they recommend the Supertrapp tunable disc exhausts? I was thinking of getting a tunable disc unit that fits on my 4-1 pipe.

They have various sizes and styles under their universal line. Any thoughts on what model, length and width to get? The OD on my pipe is 2.5 inches.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

I had a supercrap tunable muffler on a Honda NT650 one time, I bought it because it sounded like a neat idea, bieng able to tune it for the type of riding I wanted to do and it was cheap but I kept it on for about a month and ended up buying a jardine RT1 cannister used on Ebay. The supertrapp was the loudest can I've ever owned and it was larger than most cans. I didnt like the sound it made either, it sounded like it should be on a Harley.

Comment

I have the tuneable stainless pipes on my 1100/1260,1000 Katana and one of my 1150's. Love 'em. The only problem is that on the 1150 I need to remove the whole system to change the oil.

Comment

Thanks guys. I didn't see too much on the web as far as testimonials about them.
        1982 GS1000S Katana
        1982 GS1100E

Comment

I have a Supertrapp Stainless system on my '83 GS1100E. It is at least 15 years old and looks as good as new. The stainless steel will not rust and turns a nice bronze color with use. The non-stainless steel models did not hold up nearly as well. The muffler uses a fiberglass packing along with the discs. The loudness can be changed by adding or removing discs, but only within a certain range. There are also different caps for the discs. Mine is a solid cap which allows flow only through the gaps in the discs. There is also a cap with a hole in the center which allows much more flow and is much louder. I re-packed my muffler last year and run eight discs. It has a nice sound that is not obnoxious at all. Here's a link with a pic of the bike showing the Supertrapp system:

Thanks,
          Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks Joe, I really like the idea of the stainless steel trouble free exhaust and it looks great on your great looking bike.

I may buy a stainless unit and see how I like it. I figure it can always go on ebay if I don't.
            1982 GS1000S Katana
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

Pano,

I also had Supertrapp stainless slip-ons on my '88 Hurricane 1000. They looked and sounded great too!

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

had one on my 750, 20 years ago! 8O
                it wasn't stainless so i had to repaint the head pipe every winter,but i loved it,
                even got the trick deflector disc for it so the swingarm wouldn't end up 'black' 8)

Comment

I had a 4 to 2 stainless super trapp on a '85 FZ750 for about five years and 90,000kms, it stood up great. The quality of the pipes and cans were good and gave no problems with cracks or needing repacking as there was no glass packing in this system. Great system, I'd easily buy another.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Maybe they sound good on an inline 4, or maybe its just me but the 4" stainless supertrapp cannister I had on the NT650 sounded horrible no matter how many or few discs where in it. The 650 was a V- twin with lots of modifications so thats probably why I had a bad experience with supertrapp. I do remember though that with the maximum amount of discs the can did provide more torque than the Jardine I replaced it with. It was a very cool looking pipe too!

Comment

Supertrapp tuneable

I have had a Supertrapp Stainless pipe on my 1150 for twenty years. It still looks almost as good as the day it was new. It is a pain to have to remove it to change oil. And contrary to what was posted earlier you do have to repack them with fiberglass now and then. They are also a little messy even with the diverter installed, and the ground clearance isn?t super. But overall I love this pipe. I originally bought it because of an article in a Motorcycle magazine back in the 80?s about an 83 GS 1260 built by Fours and More. That pipe looked wicked then and still does today. I have 24 discs in mine with an open-end cap and it is soul stirring on the gas! I see so many of the new Cans running around that look exactly alike. I don?t see too many of these though. Plus if you ever decide to, you can buy one of their internal disc series cans and bolt it on. The only other exhaust I have ever seen that I would consider after mine is the Titanium system Yoshimura built for the Katana 1135. :twisted:

Comment

Thanks everybody.

I am looking into the superlight stainless and the S/C Elite which is also stainless from their universal line. I will get one of these to replace the canister on one of my older pipes.
                        1982 GS1000S Katana
                        1982 GS1100E

Comment

Anyone know of a source for Supertrapps?

BTW, KGB - I never get tired of looking at that photo of your bike. Nice job.

Comment

Their regular catalog does not list anything for our older bikes. I hadn't thought of it till now but they may build one if asked. I was looking at the Universal catalog for slip ons.
                            1982 GS1000S Katana
                            1982 GS1100E

Comment

Although I haven't seen them for about a year, there was one outfit that used to list supertrapp exhausts for GS's on eBay. They were located in Yonkers, NY and had their own website. Unfortunately I've lost their web address. If I remember correctly the complete sets were selling for around 300-400.

Comment

Working...
                              X