Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schweisshund View Post
    Hey there,

Lee sent me a replacement carburetor I purchased from him because, oddly enough I was having the same exact problem with my carburetors that you are having with yours. I had two jet screws that were stripped. When his carburetors arrived, I went about extracting the two jet screws very very carefully and did so with success and replaced the two stripped screws with two from Lee's carb. Yes, that means I have two extras. See if we have the same carburetor (I have a 1983 Suzuki GS550E).

Ok here is what I did - very very carefully. I got an electric drill and titanium bits. I got the smallest bit I could fit in the electric drill and tried to drill a hole in the stripped jet screws. At first, it seemed like I wasn't going to be able to. I used compressed air to clean out the shavings. This requires some patience as the steel on those screws is pretty hard. Anyway. I was able to drill a hole eventually about a 1/4 inch deep in the center of each screw. I then got the smallest screw extractor and hammered it into the hole I drilled. I then saturated everything (once the extractor was firmly in place) with PB Blaster. I waited then got handle lock vise grips and clamped down on the screw extractor and very sloooooooooooowly (emphasis is very important) unscrewed the stripped jet screws.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that we've got the same carbs on our bikes. I've actually got a couple of battered sets of the carbs that I can pull replacement screws from, but I'll keep your offer in mind.

I may yet follow your lead, but since I've not been able to get the job done with my modest collection of tools I've been hoping to hire the job out to an "expert" that has the best tools and experiece.

I've done the PB Blaster, as did the custom shop, to no avail. The PB Blaster just sits in a pool on top of the screw...doesn't seep in AT ALL, and that's after sitting for over a week.

My next try: I've got another local mech on the line that says he's got his own machine shop... Wish me luck!

Comment

I had the same problem with one jet screws on my 84GS750... drilled a hole in the screw and used a screw extractor.... need to be very gentle.

My bike had the same symptoms as yours, white plugs and high idling... was running lean. I have adjusted it using the highest RPM method and now it idles perfectly. My adjustments are 2 1/2 turn out on each carburetor.

Good luck.

Comment

Well, picked the carbs up from mech # 1 (at a custom shop) and drove 1/2 mile down the road and dropped 'em to mech # 2 (at a HD/Buell shop). Hopefully he'll be callin' with good news by weeks end. [fingers, toes and eyeballs crossed! :shock:

Comment

If no luck - mail them to me :-D After having already done this to the exact same set of carburetors, I know how to do it. Hopefully the Buell mech knows what to do. Good Luck.

Comment

Bad news. Just got a call that my carbs are ready for pickup - with the two screws still stuck!!!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG GGGHHHHHHH!

Guess it's up to me. Well, at least I know that I didn't overlook the option of shopping the work out to a pro.

I think I'll pick up the carbs and drop by sears for the needed tools. Hopefully I don't destroy an otherwise perfectly good set of carbs. Wish me luck!

Comment

Pick up an electric drill and titanium bits. Make sure you spray PB blaster in the struck screws, helps the drill bit penetrate the screw. And use the tiniest drill bit and center it.

I wish you the best of luck. If it gets ruined I will send you the needed parts from this carburetor set I have.

Comment

Pick up an electric drill and titanium bits. Make sure you spray PB blaster in the struck screws, helps the drill bit penetrate the screw. And use the tiniest drill bit and center it.

I wish you the best of luck. If it gets ruined I will send you the needed parts from this carburetor set I have.
                I've already got the drill and the bits and PB Blaster has been on these things for days and days. I did run out to Sears and get a 1/64 drill bit and it worked pretty well. However, the backout/extractor/ez-out didn't work out on either screw. On one the hole in the screw just kept stripping and on the other the backout bit snapped flush to the screw! That's it. I'm putting the carbs back on as is and running lean at idle for the rest of the year!

Guess it's time to search for a new set of carbs for this winter. How annoying! Weeks of wasted time and I'll still be running lean.

Comment

unless of course you want me to ship you two carbs with jet needle screws? I will still have two extra carbs minus the jet screws I replaced. However my carburetor is repaired with the spare Lee sent me. And .... once you get a mech to back those screws out eventually ... you will also have two spare carbs minus needles.

Comment

PM me if your interested. I can send them to you tmw if you want them ($20.00 + whatever shipping comes to?)

Comment

Well, the screws are stuck and in to stay. Lost a backout bit to one and the other just kept stripping out even with the backout bit getting a full bite. At this point I believe that there has been some sort of galvanic action that has essentially melded the screws to the carbs.

So, I'll be running with two lean barrels unless I can find another set of carbs that is better AND tune-able.

Comment

PM me if your interested. I can send them to you tmw if you want them ($20.00 + whatever shipping comes to?)
                        I'm interested. Sent you a PM. Thanks for the offer!

Comment

Don't forget to post when they arrive. Also, in my personal opinion, Lee did a fine job with those Carbs, they should put your bike on the road in no time.

Comment

Don't forget to post when they arrive. Also, in my personal opinion, Lee did a fine job with those Carbs, they should put your bike on the road in no time.
                            Absolutely. As soon as they arrive I'll be back in the garage. Lee has given me a rundown on the carbs as well. Based on the reviews from you and Lee and the pics you sent it seems that they may be in even better overall shape than the ones I have been desperately trying to save. Can't wait! \\/

PS: The purple dino icon is new, right? I'm almost certain that I would've noticed that if it was there before.

Comment

Yes, its new :-D Its actually supposed to be an animation but cant get it to work. The animation is hilarious.

Comment

Pilot Screws - We don't need no stinkin' pilot screws!!!

Well, at least not the two that are stuck in the, now, extra set of carbs.

Bike is running again but now it runs better!

1000 Thanks to Schweisshund and LeeGS550E who apparently conspired to make available for sale another set of carbs that are in very fine condition. LeeGS550E sold these to Schweisshund who needed two of the pilot screws. Schweisshund then sold them to me because I had to "non-stuck" pilot screws and I need a set of carbs that didn't have two screws WELDED into them!!!! (Hey bub, would ya like a house to go with that door knob?).

Carbs arrived yesterday and I spent last night and this morning tweaking the new carbs and installing them along with the new boots and o-rings that I bought from LeeSG550E a few weeks earlier.

Result: Smooth running and none of the high idling after warm up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                \\/
                                Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh hhh!!!!!!!
                                :-D
                                Finally!!!!! =D>

Comment

Working...
                                X