X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matchless
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by briyenkieth View Post
    I'm now getting 13.6 at idle and topping out at 14.65. Way better than the 15-16 volts I was getting just of idle.
    There you go! Well done.

Leave a comment:

• briyenkieth
    Guest replied
    I'm now getting 13.6 at idle and topping out at 14.65. Way better than the 15-16 volts I was getting just of idle.

Leave a comment:

• Matchless
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by briyenkieth View Post
    found a "sh541-12 12v" in what was left of an intruder of unknown year or size. At the most unlikely place the auto salvage yard. Pick your part has a small area of bikes, about four bikes on average. I sometimes forget how Irish I really am. Not only was this the only reg/rec in the pile but it was on the list and functioning. Lucky me!! $14.95 out the door!!!!!

That was a good find. The SH541 is well proven as good replacement on the GS bikes. Let us know how it works.

Leave a comment:

• briyenkieth
    Guest replied
    found a "sh541-12 12v" in what was left of an intruder of unknown year or size. At the most unlikely place the auto salvage yard. Pick your part has a small area of bikes, about four bikes on average. I sometimes forget how Irish I really am. Not only was this the only reg/rec in the pile but it was on the list and functioning. Lucky me!! $14.95 out the door!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• willie
    replied
    [QUOTE Now if I can only find a solution to the hard seat issue, I will be fat cattin it. QUOTE]
    Remove the seat cover, measure the width and length, check out knoxfoam.com's website, order suitable slab of tempurpedic foam to replace material removed from stock seat, install purchased foam. Your butt will crack a smile from being so happy.
    Willie in TN

Leave a comment:

• Matchless
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by gsinmaine View Post
    An update. My FH-012AA arrived and I installed it as per the diagram posted. It bolted up with a bit of coaxing using the original holes and screws. At an idle, I have around 12.8 volts. At 4000 it sits at 14.20 or so. A vast improvement over the 17 volts I had before.
    I want to thank all of the members who posted all the information that let me both repair my bike and save me money and aggravation in the bargain. This is a terrific site with some very 'in the know' members.
    Now if I can only find a solution to the hard seat issue, I will be fat cattin it.
    Once again, thanks to all and happy cruisin'.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Leave a comment:

• gsinmaine
    Guest replied
    An update. My FH-012AA arrived and I installed it as per the diagram posted. It bolted up with a bit of coaxing using the original holes and screws. At an idle, I have around 12.8 volts. At 4000 it sits at 14.20 or so. A vast improvement over the 17 volts I had before.
    I want to thank all of the members who posted all the information that let me both repair my bike and save me money and aggravation in the bargain. This is a terrific site with some very 'in the know' members.
    Now if I can only find a solution to the hard seat issue, I will be fat cattin it.
    Once again, thanks to all and happy cruisin'.

Leave a comment:

• GS550ES-Hank
    Guest replied
    Finished my FH010BA upgrade. Came off an '08 ZX-14 with 4k miles on it, feel sorry for the bike, and used insulated connectors with the factory harness off the old R/R. Works perfectly, though the test ride with the multimeter in my lap was awkward. Also, the 550ES really has no decent mounting place for a larger R/R, so it's tucked between the battery box and fender for the moment.

Leave a comment:

• rustybronco
    replied
    Post a link to one of the Ebay items.

Leave a comment:

• briyenkieth
    Guest replied
    So I got a stupid ? For you guys. Would a rectifier off a later model gs work on my 400? There are a bunch on egay right now and I want to ride sometime this season. Like so cal has a riding season ! LOL

Leave a comment:

• bonanzadave
    replied
    Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    looks like a well designed PM 3 phase alternator.
    Pos, thats from Accel. Looks like everything they have is for a Hardley. Didnt see any listed for a UJM.

Leave a comment:

• posplayr
    replied
    looks like a well designed PM 3 phase alternator. Note the size of the wires in the stator and R/R .

I wonder if they upped the output with some stronger magnets

Leave a comment:

• bonanzadave
    replied
    This thread is very informative but now that Ive lived the RR curse and read over 999 posts on the topic Im getting bored. Think Ill add a picture......

WTH is that ??

Leave a comment:

• Billy Ricks
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by gsinmaine View Post
    Yeah, that is what I thought too. I got one of them new and improved Shindengen FH-012 models off the Bay. Wiring seems straight forward enough and the price was right. Hasn't arrived yet but I am 99% sure that this will fix my over charging issue. I took it on a 300 mile road trip last year, at the end of our riding season and I am surprised the battery didn't explode or that I didn't burn out every bulb, coil and anything else electrical charging that high. I almost fell over when I put the meter on it. In fact, I had to go get another meter just to be sure. Thanks for the reply and I will post back with the results. Strange place for the R/R. Under the battery box. But, it gets alot of air there I suppose. Thanks again!
    I did burn out every bulb and watched my tach go up in a puff of smoke. You could also strap a computer fan to the heatsink for a little extra airflow. Won't matter if you pull air off or force it through the heatsink. The taillight wire is a good source of power for a fan. They pull minimal power.

Leave a comment:

• gsinmaine
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
    Almost certainly the R/R is charging too hot. It's an easy fix with a used $40 R/R.
    Yeah, that is what I thought too. I got one of them new and improved Shindengen FH-012 models off the Bay. Wiring seems straight forward enough and the price was right. Hasn't arrived yet but I am 99% sure that this will fix my over charging issue. I took it on a 300 mile road trip last year, at the end of our riding season and I am surprised the battery didn't explode or that I didn't burn out every bulb, coil and anything else electrical charging that high. I almost fell over when I put the meter on it. In fact, I had to go get another meter just to be sure. Thanks for the reply and I will post back with the results. Strange place for the R/R. Under the battery box. But, it gets alot of air there I suppose. Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X