No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my gps said 124. something mph, I am not finished with the engine work yet and will regear when I am done

83 Gs 550, Full fairing bike

Comment

Really.. What have you done to the bike? With just one step richer jets, and a K&N filter I got clocked at 122mph on my 1983 GS550ES by an Illinois state trooper.

I have a V&H exhaust in the basement to install next year. I even have a DJ stage 3 kit I could install. ;-) It's tempting.
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

82 Gs1100 Gl

Hiway 219 Last Night 5:30 I Thought Is Would Just Open Her Up A Bit To See How She Ran. I Hit 90 Mph With Plenty Of Throttle Left So I Am Sure She Would Hit Well Over A 110+ But Id Didnt Go There Yet ??:-d

Comment

I have had my '83 GS650GD maintaining 115ish, I have taken it a bit faster a couple of times but was met with some moderate headshake, so I have to figure that out before I go all out.

I think/hope it was tire related, so with some new shoes we shall see what she can do .

Comment

my moped does 28.......

31 on a tail wind:shock:

Comment

Mine hits 180km/h once in a while. :-\"

Comment

82gs1100 Gl

Cool I Like The Seat:-d

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                  I did the Dyno Drags during the Street Vibrations event in Reno, Nevada. The '78 GS1000 did a 12.472 @ 106.5 mph. The '85 1150 did 11.439 @ 113.5 Not bad for high altitude!

Very cool! May I ask the b.h.p. numbers at that altitude?

Tony.
                  '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                  Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I dont know what my top speed is due to the fact suzuki thought a 80mph speedo would be enought for an 1100. But I know that I can hit a top speed of 90 in second gear.

Does anyone know how I could calculate my roundabout hp or top speed from knowing what my top speeds are in 1st and 2nd?

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                      Very cool! May I ask the b.h.p. numbers at that altitude?

Tony.
                      The machine shows rear wheel horsepower, which I think is less than crank h.p, (b.h.p.). My best on the 1000 was 71.4, and on the 1150 it was 89.6.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by akreider View Post
                        I dont know what my top speed is due to the fact suzuki thought a 80mph speedo would be enought for an 1100. But I know that I can hit a top speed of 90 in second gear.

Does anyone know how I could calculate my roundabout hp or top speed from knowing what my top speeds are in 1st and 2nd?

Adam
                        As I understand it, you can note the speed at 4500 rpm in top gear and multiply by 2 to get a theoretical speed at redline (9000 rpm).

Tony.
                        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I've hit a 114 mph according to a gps on my 1980 GS 550E

Comment

Wow, this thread started in 2002.
                            Keep er going!
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              Wow, this thread started in 2002.
                              Keep er going!
                              140 MPH measured with an accurate digital speedo, chest flat on the tank at a secret northern Utah test facility* at around 4500 feet.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2009, 07:56 PM.

Comment

when i raced my budds 81 kz750 we were even until about 90 or 100 i got up to 115 and was a bike length or two infront and let off

Comment

Working...
                                X