Swing arm having gap at mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swing arm having gap at mounts

The video explains the issue all by a minute thirty, but I just show all that's going on with the bike so that's why the video is 3 minutes, anyways i have a gap in my swing arm at its mounts and gap at the rear wheel where it gets mounted with the axle, help me clear this gap!

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

You would have to remove the tire and shock mount(s) with nothing but the swing arm attached, so you can see the movement. If there is movement, you hope you have swing arm bushings, or the swing arm bolt and nut are loose. Some swingarms don't have bushings, and fixing them is extremely problematic. Either a machine shop gets involved, or you look for a new swingarm. You really should put the model and year to get exact help.

Comment

Is my model not showing up anymore? It's a 1982 gs650glz
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

The gaps are normal . The shaft drive swing arm pivots pins have lock nuts. Plenty of chassis or marine grease that doesn't wash out helps keep the crap out of them. The pivots are screwed in so that the swingarm sits centrally in the frame (i.e. the gap between the swingarm and the pivot and the frame are equal on each side. They are torqued in to the specified tension (important) and then the lock nuts on either side lock the pins in postion.

The rear axle needs the brake caliper carrier and all the spacer sleeves on it to position the rear wheel correctly on the axle. It'll make sense when the axle bits are on.

suzuki-gs650gt-1982-z-e01-e02-e04-e15-e16-e17-e18-e21-22-24-25-26-34-rear-wheel_bigsue0120fig-78_7be8.gif

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
        ​​
        Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

thankyou! ill relook at both parts diagrams, and get it correctly this time. after this its just basically motor, carbs, and wiring everything up, i still need to do a little work on my harness but its nothing big.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

The gaps at the pivot are normal. The G swingarms pivot in tapered roller bearings, the swingarm should be centered between them.

At the axle, by the time you get the caliper holder and spacers in there, it will be SNUG. In fact, you may have to pry it apart slightly to get everything in.
            If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

If it doesn't have bushings, it would have bearings, correct? Or is that just for chain drive? Years ago, I changed the bushings on my CB350 to cure a front wobble, and it was an easy job. Another advantage of chains.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I didn't realize it was a shaft drive. A much more durable set up. I would refer to Factory Manuals for inspection procedure, but I would think that the gaps are normal, and the tapered roller bearing would have a torque spec for tightening them. You should try and get a Factory Manual to do a proper service, and find the intervals. They can be found online, in .pdf form, and I haven't had to pay for one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  If it doesn't have bushings, it would have bearings, correct? Or is that just for chain drive? Years ago, I changed the bushings on my CB350 to cure a front wobble, and it was an easy job. Another advantage of chains.
                  yes it has bearings!
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

suzuki-gs650m-1983-d-usa-e03-rear-swinging-arm_big3IMG00922993_dc8f.gif

This got deleted, too many attachments apparently.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
                    ​​
                    Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

There has to be a torque setting to tighten the pivot shaft.

Comment

is the torque link still required without the rear brake or is it part of the swingarm itself? its part Classifieds (Road-ready GS's only)
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

According to the pic posted above, the torque arm from the rear brake is separate, but you cannot run the rear brake without it. That 850 in the link you provided is super clean. If it is at the right price, it would be a worthwhile purchase. They had a lot of torque!

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                            is the torque link still required without the rear brake or is it part of the swingarm itself? its part Classifieds (Road-ready GS's only)
                            Any reason why you would not want to install the rear brake? I know Florida doesn’t have vehicle safety inspections like most other states. So maybe is isn’t technically required. It’s my understanding that you can, legally, put just about anything on the road there. Doesn’t mean you should. I use the adages, “2 is 1, 1 is none”, and “better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it”. Same rules apply to firearms.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

Any reason why you would not want to install the rear brake? I know Florida doesn’t have vehicle safety inspections like most other states. So maybe is isn’t technically required. It’s my understanding that you can, legally, put just about anything on the road there. Doesn’t mean you should. I use the adages, “2 is 1, 1 is none”, and “better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it”. Same rules apply to firearms.
                              When you're a congenital idiot you're reasoning is it looks better and brakes only slow you down.

pg 216
                              bearings are tapered
                              torque arm hardware is prone to wear. Shoulder pivot bolt gets grooved. Hole gets ovoid and uneven wear.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X