No announcement yet.

Swing arm having gap at mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats weird i put 20 with the # and it gave that link, and i never had a working rear brake on the bike since i owned it, i have the master cylinder and i installed and bled it but it really didnt work well, future plans are to put a clamp on bracket on the frame, and maybe a mechanical brake instead of hydraulic. its certainly important but if i had a weak front brake i dont think the rear will save me. the bike is just gonna be for fun nowadays not a daily commuter anymore.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

According to the pic posted above, the torque arm from the rear brake is separate, but you cannot run the rear brake without it. That 850 in the link you provided is super clean. If it is at the right price, it would be a worthwhile purchase. They had a lot of torque!

Comment

As a kid, I thought the rear brake was superfluous and more a distraction than useful -unless you wanted to skid the rear. Hey, everyone knows that the front brake does all the work, and I never have to waste money on rear brake pads. As someone now (much) older and wiser I realise that the rear brake is all about control, rather than pure stopping power. It is so useful at modulating traffic jam crawling speed -no front end dive and allows a looser grip on the bars for more control when treading in between car wing-mirrors. Applied slightly before hitting the front brakes it begins the weight transfer process assisting in smooth loading of the front tyre. And its essential to use both when trial braking, when you want braking to be be balanced on both wheels as you ease of the brakes and add lean.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
        Dazza from Kiwiland
        GSX1100SXZ, GSX750SZ, GS650GZ All Katanas, all 1982

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post
          As a kid, I thought the rear brake was superfluous and more a distraction than useful -unless you wanted to skid the rear. Hey, everyone knows that the front brake does all the work, and I never have to waste money on rear brake pads. As someone now (much) older and wiser I realise that the rear brake is all about control, rather than pure stopping power. It is so useful at modulating traffic jam crawling speed -no front end dive and allows a looser grip on the bars for more control when treading in between car wing-mirrors. Applied slightly before hitting the front brakes it begins the weight transfer process assisting in smooth loading of the front tyre. And its essential to use both when trial braking, when you want braking to be be balanced on both wheels as you ease of the brakes and add lean.
          I've realized I'm gonna be limiting myself as to what I can do and how I can ride removing it, it makes me think more about getting one back on the bike, but I'm still pretty new as I've only clocked in maybe 2 thousand miles on the bike in a course of 3 years and i know i wouldnt be using the rear brake anytime soon, there still is a plan to add a working rear brake it'll just be alot different than the original setup.

Even if somebody tells me something I have to find out myself or see whatever it is first hand to really understand, it can be idiotic but its part of just how i work. I'm my own worst enemy!
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Something to remember. The younger you are, the harder it is to listen to the ones who are older and wiser... Speaking from experience, I was young once.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Running a street bike without a rear brake is foolish. If you don't understand gyroscopic precession and why the rear brake is so important, in so many situations, you may have no business riding motorcycles. A working rear brake allows you to lay down a bike when necessary to avoid a catastrophic accident. It allows you to come to a stop and have the handlebars to wobble. This is an every stop situation. Never run a bike without a rear brake. Never. We are trying to help you, possibly save your life, not argue or have a pi$$ing contest.
              Last edited by Suzukian; 11-16-2022, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Suzukian, this is not the first thread where I've tried to warn Ian against such an endeavor. Deaf ears, I'm afraid.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  Suzukian, this is not the first thread where I've tried to warn Ian against such an endeavor. Deaf ears, I'm afraid.
                  He's absolutely right about this, at this point if something happens it's because my ignorance and idiocricy. I do want a rear brake no doubt it's just with the situation I've had of never having one I guess the urgency isn't there. But it's me being stupid!

It's not a contest or anything, I'm absolutely positive a rear brake would be nothing but beneficial. Why don't I put one on as urgently as other things, because I'm being stupid!

there will be one no doubt it just wont be right away, i havent even got the damn bike together yet.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

I don't know if you have that machining skills, but you could make a square bracket, that is split in half, and can be bolted back together. Thick bracket would fit around the swing arm and have a bolt for attaching the rear brake caliper. I could show you in a CAD picture, but I charge $100 bucks an hour to engineer such things, but if you get the idea, you may be able to find steel square stock that will work, and then do what is necessary to hold the caliper in place. As long as the brake line doesn't kink, the position radially doesn't mater, so your bracket could theoretically put the caliper where ever you want it around the center of the axle. I wouldn't go through all this trouble to change something that works so well, and is so functional. Do you have a milling machine and a Mig Welder, these would help, a lot, if you want to do things you own way. Do you find yourself looking at rear brake arms a lot, I don't.

I do most of my CAD modeling with Rhino3D by McNeel. I teach it on my forum. My point is very talented people offer their suggestions for free on this forum. When I trained machinists, I told them they had to do it my way, once they mastered it, if they had an idea, I would look at it, but that time was a long way off. I rarely got a suggestion that was better than what I was doing. This covered manual machines, 4 5, and 8 axis CNC machines, which I programmed and designed the fixtures, and some specialized end mills for composite materials. I had no one to teach me anything. You are getting loads of advice, and writing off experienced people. Soon, no one will read you posts. I turned 65 today. I am always so grateful when I learn something, even though I am at the "Winter of my discontent".

Sample; A paper model I designed from "Battlestar Galactica", unfolds and is completely build-able, not available at this moment.

R2.jpg

Comment

I NEED that paper viper model!
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

honestly what im thinking about is having a super simple brake setup in the rear, i just made a quick mockup but i think it explains it well as theres not much going on

itd be an axle with a spring return to keep it from moving that would have a pedal on one end for my foot obviously, and a "clamp" that would wrap around the brake disc when i use it.

ofcourse the long tube would be the axle, the circle that is above and at the middle of the axle would be the mount, the line going from the mount to the axle would be the return spring, on the right side is the brake pedal, and the left would be that "clamp"

the clamp itself would have a hard rubber composite on the inside while the actual clamp itself would be metal, now if a rubber composite isnt enough ofcourse id still figure it out, but as i see it id use it as a normal brake, now it might be more sensitive and easy to cause your rear to skid, but i could test like the hardness of the composite that works as the brake pad or give something a bit of flexibility so its not a consistent force being applied to the brake but one that has some play.

its just a rough draft, i know this could definitely work, but how well is really what id need to learn.

i do have access to many many machining tools im very lucky to have the friends i do, i also have a TIG and MIG welder at home. brake idea.png

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

You could arrange it so the friction surface is inside a rotating short cylinder and that would give a self-servoing action. Maybe even then add another one and keep both of them in synchronisation by a simple cam arrangement.
                          I'm sure it can be worked out...
                          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                            honestly what im thinking about is having a super simple brake setup in the rear, i just made a quick mockup but i think it explains it well as theres not much going on

itd be an axle with a spring return to keep it from moving that would have a pedal on one end for my foot obviously, and a "clamp" that would wrap around the brake disc when i use it.

ofcourse the long tube would be the axle, the circle that is above and at the middle of the axle would be the mount, the line going from the mount to the axle would be the return spring, on the right side is the brake pedal, and the left would be that "clamp"

the clamp itself would have a hard rubber composite on the inside while the actual clamp itself would be metal, now if a rubber composite isnt enough ofcourse id still figure it out, but as i see it id use it as a normal brake, now it might be more sensitive and easy to cause your rear to skid, but i could test like the hardness of the composite that works as the brake pad or give something a bit of flexibility so its not a consistent force being applied to the brake but one that has some play.

its just a rough draft, i know this could definitely work, but how well is really what id need to learn.

i do have access to many many machining tools im very lucky to have the friends i do, i also have a TIG and MIG welder at home. brake idea.png
                            Why not just get a concrete block and a long piece of rope????

Do you really think you can build a rear brake that works better than the Suzuki engineers designed???
                            Ron
                            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/core/images/smilies/cool.png
                            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                            1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

A boat anchor would be more apropos.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

im not saying better by any means!
                                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                                1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                                X