TNK fork spring set.

TNK springs 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

OEM fork spring.
    SZ OEM fork spring by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

TNK fork spring.
    TNK springs 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

OEM v TNK spring set.
    OEM v TNK by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
    Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 10-24-2023, 10:44 PM.
    Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
    Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      Have a sniff of it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's the original fork oil from the factory, and they were fond of fish oil back then.
      Stinks to high heaven after a few years.
      No fish oil today Grimly. These are re-manufactured Suzuki forks by a company in Japan so the original oil is long gone, thankfully. A nice feature is they remove the OEM anti-dive top module and replace it with a reliable manual adjustable damper unit. No need for anti-dive hoses and brackets, much lighter now.

Damper adjust by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

The sludge is the usual result of not changing the fork oil at 10,000km. I have seen worse looking oil from forks from the many sets I have worked on so not a surprise really.

Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 10-25-2023, 02:54 AM.
      Shin-Ken 1074
      1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Fork internals are in good shape, the wave washers have almost no wear and the friction bushes are almost mint as expected. When PMC (Performance Motorcycle Creative) in Japan re-manufacture these forks they replace all the internal parts including friction bushes so the forks leave their workshop as "New" forks. The forks were painted black and the "KYB" decals had been applied when I bought them, not original finish for a 1981 SZ but this build is not a restoration to original spec so no drama leaving them as is. In fact I think the black finish will go well with the build as only the battery cradle is in aluminium finish with everything else being silver or black.

My guess is this is the first time the forks have been worked on since they were re-manufactured which is why all the internal parts are minty, just tired fork oil that has been there for to long. A clean up and install the new consumables and they will be ready to go.

Fork assembly 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
        Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 10-25-2023, 06:46 AM.
        Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Fork parts cleaned and good to go.

fork internals cleaned by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Having a 19mm hex drive tee handle makes life easy when working on the forks.

Damper rod tee by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
          Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 10-25-2023, 02:56 AM.
          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

New fork seal time. Shaped a bit of round bar to make a seal remover tool. Unlike the tradition way to remove a seal with a screwdriver, this way no slipping or risk of damaging the seal housing.

Fork seal remover 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Fork seal remover 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Fork seal 3 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Fork seal 4 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

My socket set are thick walled and will crush the raised rib section of the fork seal if I used them to install the new seal. Lucky for me I don't throw out steel or pipe off cuts and just pile them up in a drum waiting for a job. Ratting through the drum I found a pipe that is a perfect fit for the new fork seal, clears the seal rib and just fits inside the fork leg. Made a cedar strike plate for the top of the pipe and taped it in place with the ever reliable silver duct tape.

Fork seal drift 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Fork seal drift 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Fork seal drift 4 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Fork seal drift 5 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Fork seal drift 6 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
              Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 10-26-2023, 07:02 AM.
              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Change of plan, the aluminium preload unit threads wont engage the fork threads. Can't see any damage to the threads on the aftermarket preload. The OEM preload unit spins on without any problem so for now the OEM preload will be used and I'll sort out the problem another day, at least that can be done with the forks fitted.

The problem preload.

aftermarket preload by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 10-26-2023, 07:03 AM.
                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

I came across that fork preload thread problem - two sets of forks from Zuk, both the same diameter, different threads. That's why I ended up using the air caps but cut them down and turned them into mechanical pre-loaders.
                  ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    I came across that fork preload thread problem - two sets of forks from Zuk, both the same diameter, different threads. That's why I ended up using the air caps but cut them down and turned them into mechanical pre-loaders.
                    Hi Grimly, good work around on your pre-load thread problem.
                    Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

The OEM steel fork brace that sits inside the front guard is a not so light 780 gram part. Replacing it with a Daytona aluminium fork brace however, the Daytona is old and the plastic fork dust seal retainer is brittle and flimsy, not good. Had an aluminium retainer made to replace the plastic item and it should
                      do the job for many years to come.

OEM steel fork brace.
                      OEM fork brace by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Plastic retainer.
                      Plastic retainer by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Aluminium retainer
                      Aluminium retainer by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                      Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 10-26-2023, 07:44 PM.
                      Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Daytona ally fork brace with ally retainers.

Daytona ally brace by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                        Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Numbers time for the fork parts being swapped or deleted, not the total fork weight right now.

OEM anti dive units and hoses.
                          OEM antidive by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

OEM anti dive hose brackets.
                          OEM anti hose bracket by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

OEM fork brace, anti-dive units,anti-dive hose brackets and fork springs total = 2,546 grams.
                          Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 10-26-2023, 08:56 PM.
                          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Swapped anti-dive units from OEM to PMC units.

DW antidive by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

OEM 1 x brace, 2 x springs, 2 x anti-dive and hoses and 2 x anti-dive hose brackets = 2,546 grams.

1 x Daytona fork brace, 2 x PMC anti-dive units and 2 x TNK fork springs total = 1,312 grams.

Total weight removed from fork set = 1,234 grams.

This is where having to use the OEM preload units hurt, they are double the weight of the aftermarket preload units.
                            Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 10-26-2023, 10:38 PM.
                            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

DW 180 complete fork including oil = 4,300 grams each. Fork brace not included.

DW fork by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                              Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 10-26-2023, 10:38 PM.
                              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post

Yes, chipping away at many of the smaller and seemingly insignificant parts is a big help in reducing weight as each part contributes to the end goal. While the big ticket items like pipes, wheels, battery, seat, clip-on bars and weights, brake rotors, sprockets, chain, chain guard, center-stand and side-stand are the go-to parts of the reduction plan, there is a lot of weight savings to be had by including as many of those smaller parts as possible even down to bolts and washers.

When these bikes were designed and built weight was not at the top of the check list so parts like pivot bolts and bearing spacers were made the way they had always been made - with solid steel, tough, reliable and heavy! Thankfully a hollow pivot bolt and an aluminium bearing spacer will do the same job at less than half the weight.

Yeah, the OEM bearing spacer is pretty sad. It came with the donor swing arm and thankfully all I needed was the swing arm.

OEM steel pivot and bearing spacer by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Hollow pivot and ally spacer by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

The best weight saving is when parts can be deleted completely rather than modified or swapped. A couple of kg have been saved by deleting parts completely:

Anti-dive unit top section, hoses and brackets
                                Front brake hose manifold
                                Front wheel speedo dust cover
                                Front guard speedo cable rubber guide
                                Wire speedo cable guide on fork lower
                                Fork OEM steel brace
                                Centre-stand
                                Tool roll bracket
                                Number plate bracket
                                Rear guard sub-frame
                                Rear foot pegs
                                Air box and filter
                                AUX 12 volt switches
                                Helmet lock and bolts
                                Lift handle and bolts
                                Seat strap

The goal is 180 kg from a starting point of 232 kg and at this stage it is in the low 180's however, I don't think those last few kg are going to be easy to find. I like your confidence and I hope you are right.
                                Are you sure the aluminum spacer tube won't collapse when you tighten the pivot bolt to torque?​

Comment

Working...
                                X