Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorenzo View Post

"spares bin", gotta be the metaphor of the week
    Yeah, I could confidently state that my spares bin never had any titanium.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Having a few spares bins can be very helpful to keep these vintage GSX Suzuki machines running, ya never know what part will come in handy at short notice. Like when working on a part and you discover two steel bolts on the rear caliper could be replaced with Ti bolts from the "Ti bolts spares bin", got lucky on that one.

Spares Bin 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Spares Bin 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
      Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 02-23-2024, 01:30 AM.
      Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
      Shin-Ken 1074
      1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
      1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

"Ti bolts spares bin" is a phrase i didn't think i would ever hear.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Picked up the new pads today and now the rear caliper is back together at last. Tomorrow should have the overhauled rear caliper, new brake line and master cylinder installed.

OEM pads by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Caliper 20 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
          Shin-Ken 1074
          1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Installed the rear caliper and master cylinder today, bleed the system and it is working as advertised, could come in handy one day? Brakes, what a drag!

New pistons and seals fitted to the caliper, new pads installed and new overhaul kit fitted to the master cylinder along with a new brake line.
            Rear brake 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Slow going topping up the master res 15ml at a time while bleeding the system.
            Rear brake 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Rear brake 3 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

System bleed and holding pressure when the brake is applied. So far so good!
            Rear brake 4 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Caliper with its new titanium bolts from the "Ti bolts spares bin" to complete the rear brake system overhaul. Only two main jobs remaining, some final wiring to sort out and tune the carbs.
            Rear brake 5 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
            Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 02-25-2024, 06:03 AM.
            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
              Caliper with its new titanium bolts from the "Ti bolts spares bin" to complete the rear brake system overhaul. Only two main jobs remaining, some final wiring to sort out and tune the carbs.
              Rear brake 5 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
              Always thought the entire GS rear disc series were over-braked anyway.
              Nice way to solve that problem.
              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yeah, I agree 100% with you about the older GS rear brakes being over engineered. Light weight modern brake systems prove just how light the brake components can be compared to the older parts.

The evolution of the rear rotor is a good example. An 1981 GSX 1100 OEM rotor weighing 2,145 grams compared to a 1986 GSXR 1100 and then to an aftermarket 1986 GSXR 1100 rotor weighing 533 grams, the aftermarket rotor = 75% lighter than the OEM rotor!

Rotors by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

The 1981 GSX 1100 OEM rear brake system;

rotor and bolts
                torque brace and bolts
                caliper/mount/bolts
                brake line/banjos
                master cylinder/res/bolts
                brake pivot
                brake pedal

total weight is 5,376 grams.

After swapping the OEM brake parts with modified and replacement parts the total weight for rear brake parts on this build is 2,592 grams, less than half the weight of the OEM system.
                Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 02-28-2024, 03:56 AM.
                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

The plan is this weekend to finish up the wiring and then dial in the carbs. An engine builder I know well has advised me on initial main jet size to begin setting up the carbs. New jets should arrive this Friday. The engine has a few variables to contend with compared to a stock engine, it isn't a Hotrod but there are a few changes:

GSX1135 EF engine fitted with Yoshi profile hollow camshafts with a different lift to the stock EF camshafts, 750 F 36mm carbs with short velocity stacks - no airbox and a 4-1 exhaust system with a 58 mm I.D. pipe from the collector to the muffler outlet to help it breath!

To help dial in the carbs we are going to use an O2 sensor mounted in the pipe just forward of the muffler. A local muffler shop has welded a sensor bung into a sleeve they made to fit my titanium pipes, great work and did it on the spot in 15 minutes.

The sleeve with the O2 sensor bung is only fitted to the pipe when setting up the carbs and then removed once the carbs are sorted. Several of my friends have exhaust systems with the sensor bung welded in to the pipes and leave the bung in place however, I don't want to have the extra weight of the sleeve and sensor bung hanging off the system so it will be removed until needed for the next tune-up.

If all goes well I should have good news after the weekend.

O2 a by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

O2 b by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

O2 c by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Ex 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Ex 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                  Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 02-28-2024, 05:18 AM.
                  Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

02 sensor is the way to go. I've been tuning automotive carbs for decades. Finally bought an 02 setup and I can set dual carbs up in a matter of hours rather than a few days of trial and error.
                    1986 1150EF
                    2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
                      02 sensor is the way to go. I've been tuning automotive carbs for decades. Finally bought an 02 setup and I can set dual carbs up in a matter of hours rather than a few days of trial and error.
                      Yep, dialing in the fuel/air ratio using an O2 sensor is accurate and saves so much time, no crystal ball or star gazing involved to get it right. I like uncomplicated old school bikes without high tech systems and management programs however, I am all in when it comes to using this tech to get the numbers sorted.
                      Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

That looks like a nice, reasonably sized muffler. Hope you haven't got it jammed with heavy baffles and fiberglass.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                          That looks like a nice, reasonably sized muffler. Hope you haven't got it jammed with heavy baffles and fiberglass.
                          Nope, doesn't appear to be jammed up.

Can by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                          Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 02-29-2024, 01:01 AM.
                          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Perfect! My kind of muffler.

Comment

The replacement main jets arrived today and they have been installed. Carbs on, carbs off, carbs on, carbs off. Thankfully the build is not using the OEM airbox so its an easy job to remove carbs.

New Jet by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Carbs have been re-installed, again, ready for the tune up this weekend. Fingers crossed!
                              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Took the Kat over to my mates place on the weekend to finish the wiring and some final checks on the carbs before starting the fine tuning with the 02 sensor. Tuning to be done later this week.

Carbs 01 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Wiring 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Working...
                                X