No announcement yet.

1981 GSX1100 Katana Based Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that the original front fender (with *heavy* u-shaped inside bracket) ?

I know you want to keep the OEM Katana look, but have you considered something like the CB1100F front fender ?
    Much lighter, and the scoop should help cooling.

CB1100F front fender.jpg

Larry nvr2old used that on his S, imho looks super.

Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Yes, the heavy OEM steel brace under the front guard has been removed and replaced with a much lighter aluminium fork brace that you can see installed above the guard. The OEM plastic front guard has also been replaced with a lighter carbon guard (with Titanium bolts) and painted to look like an OEM Katana guard as well as lowering the guard position on the forks to allow it to blend in with the 18" front wheel.

Thanks for the tip about the CB1100F front guard and how its design may help direct air flow to the cooler, the GSX1135 EF OEM front guard has a similar design and although I have one of those guards I could use, for the Kat look I have stayed with an OEM copy guard for now.
      Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 06-27-2024, 07:57 PM.
      Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
      Shin-Ken 1074
      1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
      1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

In Summer where I am the temps get up to 40 C and above with humidity in the high 90's so air cooled engines need all the help they can get. Although an oil cooler has now been installed on the DW and that will help the oil, I think a little mod to the oil cooler can help a bit more on those hot humid days. Using a sad and skanky old cooler as a template, have made an aluminium deflector for the lower edge of the cooler as well as leaving a gap between the cooler and deflector to ensure the deflector doesn't rub against the cooler cores. Haven't attached the deflector yet, needs painting first.

Oil cooler 64 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 65 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 66 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 67 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
        Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 06-29-2024, 03:54 AM.
        Shin-Ken 1074
        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

It can be impossible to get the engine oil cooled with so tiny oil cooler. I have Bandit 1200 oil cooler on my 1296cc EFE and GSX 600 F oil cooler on my 1360cc supercharged EFE.
          You must make a sacrifice on the altar of thermodynamics at the expense of lightness

Comment

Originally posted by Blower View Post
            You must make a sacrifice on the altar of thermodynamics at the expense of lightness
            Oh no, say it isn't so, lightness must rule!

If the cooler mods work to manage the oil temp then it will have been worth the effort however, Summer time in five months will be the real world test.

I have some larger oil coolers to use as Plan D if this one is a no go.
            Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 06-29-2024, 06:58 AM.
            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Let the hot oil pass through an alu block cooled, on it's way to the cooler, by a Peltier cell.
              GS1000G '81

Comment

The deflector for the lower edge of the cooler is a prototype to test if it helps reduce the oil temp once there is some airflow. To future proof the deflector it needs to be installed in a way that allows it to be removed and or replaced if needed. Have attached an aluminium strip tapped for 5mm allen bolts that will attach the deflector and make it removable.

Oil cooler 68 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 69 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

To shave some weight off the oil cooler I am going to delete the lower cooler mounting brackets and make the upper brackets from flat aluminium shaped to make them as light as possible. The cooler is held in place with the upper brackets and the hoses with their metal manifolds are stiff enough to support the cooler so there is no need to use a lower cooler mount. After a test ride minus the lower cooler brackets all is well with no movement of the cooler or hoses. After cleaning the cooler and straightening the core fins to make them a bit more presentable and functional it has now been painted along with the upper brackets and lower deflector.

Oil cooler 70 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 72 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 73 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                  Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                    Larry nvr2old used that on his S, imho looks super.

Larry should try inverting his cooler, and running the lines over the engine in the tank tunnel.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Cooler and brackets are finished and tomorrow they will be installed and a test ride Tuesday with some mates. It will be interesting to see if the lower deflector helps to reduce oil temp, being the first design it can be changed or modified as needed. If this design works and there is no need to modify the cooler system the steel allen bolts will be swapped for titanium bolts, another few grams lighter.

Oil cooler 74 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 77 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Running tally = 183,214 grams.
                      Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 07-08-2024, 07:07 AM.
                      Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

The modified oil cooler is now in place and waiting for it's test ride tomorrow to check what the temp gauge has to show with the two deflectors fitted.

Oil cooler 76 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                        Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Bummer, the bad weather has rolled in today, rain and wind so no test ride.
                          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

I was just thinking of the McDonnell Douglas F-15 that set the records for altitude and time to altitude. IIRC, it was called the "Streak Eagle," and to save weight it was not painted. Just a thought.
                            As far as I know, those records still stand.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              I was just thinking of the McDonnell Douglas F-15 that set the records for altitude and time to altitude. IIRC, it was called the "Streak Eagle," and to save weight it was not painted. Just a thought.
                              As far as I know, those records still stand.
                              Yeah, the Streak Eagle was a Hot Rod! It was stripped down to the basics with a lot of systems removed to get the weight down:

no gun pack
                              no radar
                              no tail hook
                              some actuators were removed
                              some electronics were removed
                              some hydraulic systems were removed
                              minimum fuel load
                              and of course no paint.

F-15-Streak-Eagle-aircrews by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                              Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 07-09-2024, 06:39 AM.
                              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

An F-15 with a tail hook?!?

Comment

Working...
                                X