Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorenzo View Post
    If a may suggest a lile improvement on detracting from the weight tally:
    Hi Lorenzo, thanks for the suggestion on the rear res, they are a great product. I have installed a similar product on the DW rear master.

RR 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

RR 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
    Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
      Most of these light parts are lots better looking too IMO. Nice work!

Thanks Big Block, much appreciated.
      Shin-Ken 1074
      1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

You've told your wife this all just an investment, right?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Less Is more...
          GS1000G '81

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            You've told your wife this all just an investment, right?

Lucky for me I don't have to try and slide the build through on a paper thin reason like "an investment". My wife is very much Kat aware and is pretty clued up on Kats their parts and prices, we ride and hang out with Kat people and talk Kats most days. At times she has suggested buying parts that she knows are becoming difficult to find to future-proof the Kat, what a wonderful wife!
            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

OEM horn painted silver in its new location. Much easier to access the tappet cover now and the horn is a bit louder facing towards the front instead of the OEM position facing down towards the tappet cover.

horna1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

There are still a few things to sort out like overhauling the calipers and master cylinders and tuning the carbs however, yesterday was spent going through the wiring system. An aftermarket main harness, SZ Kat electrics - coils, igniter, switchblocks, clocks and indicators and a 1985 GSX 1135 EF engine. Carbs had been sitting for a year on the shelf with an unknown history and in full knowledge they will need to be overhauled but the goal yesterday was to see if the engine would fire-up and the electrics would work.

Success, the engine fired and ran after a few seconds on the starter button, sort of. Only cylinder 1 and 4 doing their job, 2 and 3 header pipes cold, gave 2 and 3 intakes a squirt of fuel and they fired up.

O.K. no fuel getting through 2 and 3, no drama.Carbs off in abound 30 seconds, no airbox makes it so easy to work on the carbs. Sure enough 2 and 3 were gummed up so a quick clean and reinstall. Fired up and ran on all cylinders so with that a major step forward, a working engine. Next job is to strip down and service the carbs and after that to sort out jetting. Right now it is still fitted with the 750 jets ex-factory.

Tested horn, lights, indicators, instrument lights, brake lights and went well except for the rear tail light. Tail light not working, brake light circuit is fine but no tail light working. Will go through the wiring again to find the problem however, I am very happy with results.

My mate the "Wizard" sorting out the electrics in his shed. The "Dark Art" of electrics is beyond my mental capacity so I am very fortunate to have help from a mate who knows how to wrangle those pesky little elec-trickery goblins!

Electrics1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 12-11-2023, 09:09 PM.
                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post

Lucky for me I don't have to try and slide the build through on a paper thin reason like "an investment". My wife is very much Kat aware and is pretty clued up on Kats their parts and prices, we ride and hang out with Kat people and talk Kats most days. At times she has suggested buying parts that she knows are becoming difficult to find to future-proof the Kat, what a wonderful wife!
                  Wow! She got a sister (preferably in the northern hemisphere)?
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Wow! She got a sister (preferably in the northern hemisphere)?
                    You are not the first one to ask that question for some reason? Same answer though, no sister.
                    Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 12-12-2023, 01:54 AM.
                    Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

When I mentioned we hang out with Kat riders and talk Kats, this is a BBQ at a mates place to give you an idea of what it is like when some local Kats gather around the BBQ for a chat.

Sat BBQ by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Sat BBQ 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                      Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Mostly 1100cc, or varied sizes?

On this part of the planet, 1100 Katanas are few and far between.

Comment

Mostly 1100cc, or varied sizes?

On this part of the planet, 1100 Katanas are few and far between.
                          On the day there was three 750cc, two 1000cc, five 1166cc, two 1230cc and the other seven were stock 1100cc. We have 27 Kats in our regular riding group in the local area however, there are another 43 Kats registered in the area that have chosen to do their own thing however, sometimes we do meet up by chance on rides, bike shows and swap meets.

We also meet up with some Kat friends from NSW (the State on the Southern border of our State - QLD) each year for a weekend ride that is a round trip of about 1,200 km.

Kat Weekend by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                          Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 12-13-2023, 12:54 AM.
                          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

27 Kats in your regular group is incredible.
                            Don't think i seen that many in total.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              27 Kats in your regular group is incredible.
                              Don't think i seen that many in total.
                              We have never managed to get all 27 Kats together at the one time, came close a few times but no cigar!
                              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Now that all four cylinders are firing the first of the teething problems has arrived. Idles on 2,200 revs with the idle adjustment backed off all the way. Not having an airbox fitted I can see the throttle stop is about 13mm from idle adjuster. Throttle cable is at maximum adjustment so removed the throttle tube for a look and compare it with the OEM throttle tube from another Kat. Bingo, different diameter where the throttle cable sits so all I had to do was rat through the spares box and find a tube to suit.

tube 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

tube 3 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

tube 4 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

tube 5 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

tube 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 12-13-2023, 03:56 AM.
                                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Working...
                                X