1981 GSX1100 Katana Based Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post

No problem, all the details have been listed here. Just follow the bouncing ball through the posts and you will be able to compile a list of parts and weights in your preferred order.
    second that, i am in awe of the weight loss achieved (and the detailed documentation), and think anyone trying to achieve similar would be very happy to read through this thread. Added to my favorites early on.
    Last edited by Rijko; 01-21-2024, 07:24 PM.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post

second that, i am in awe of the weight loss achieved (and the detailed documentation), and think anyone trying to achieve similar would be very happy to read through this thread. Added to my favorites early on.
      Hi Rijko, glad to hear you think it has been a worthwhile project, thank you for your support.

Cheers.
      Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
      Shin-Ken 1074
      1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
      1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Wanted to install the carbs and new cables today however, today was just too hot and humid to do anything. 40 Celsius and 95 % humidity is not my idea of fun these days so the carbs will have to wait. Aircon and cold beers were a much better option today.

Carbs A1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
        Shin-Ken 1074
        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Wanted to install the carbs and new cables today however, today was just too hot and humid to do anything. 40 Celsius and 95 % humidity is not my idea of fun these days so the carbs will have to wait. Aircon and cold beers were a much better option today.

Carbs A1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
          I could go for 40F right about now. We had a couple days in the negatives last week here in Ohio

Comment

Installed the new twin throttle cables and fitted the carbs today. Red rubber grease is your best friend when installing carbs with new boots, so much easier, just push straight on with no effort!

Carb 21 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Carb 22 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
            Carb 23 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Carb 24 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
            Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 01-26-2024, 02:09 AM.
            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Update for the tally, the new cables are 5 grams heavier than the old cables so running tally is now:

184,451 grams.
              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Due to the holidays and such I had not visited the thread in several weeks, but I'm glad to see you came so close to your desired weight reduction. Maybe lay off the beers a bit and the total weight of bike+rider could still hit "minus 50kg" hahaha.
                It's crazy when you think about it; this big bike now weighs less than my Honda CB-1!

Comment

Originally posted by Diirk View Post
                  Due to the holidays and such I had not visited the thread in several weeks, but I'm glad to see you came so close to your desired weight reduction. Maybe lay off the beers a bit and the total weight of bike+rider could still hit "minus 50kg" hahaha.
                  It's crazy when you think about it; this big bike now weighs less than my Honda CB-1!
                  Lay off the beer, oh no please no! After a hot day slaving away that first cold beer is a joy that is hard to beat!
                  Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Fitted the front calipers today and bleed the system, wow the Nissin adjustable brake lever is so much better to use that the 1982 very basic OEM lever system.

Front caliper 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Adjust lever 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Adjust lever 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                    Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Finally got around to trimming the hollow front axle today. Too long, too ugly and too heavy!

Front axle 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Front axle 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Front axle 3 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

7 grams that isn't needed anymore.

Front axle 5 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Running tally = 184,444 grams.
                      Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 02-03-2024, 03:53 AM.
                      Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

On the mechanical side, the rear master cylinder and rear caliper overhaul is the third last job to be done, I have the master cylinder kit and the rear caliper kit should arrive next week. Second last job is adapting the GSX-R1100 R/H switchblock to the 1981 Kat harness and the last job is sorting out the carb jetting. Getting closer to ride time.
                        Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

...the last job is sorting out the carb jetting.
                          That "last job" is so vital. Got access to a dyno?
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

That "last job" is so vital. Got access to a dyno?
                            Yes, there are a few Dyno places just over an hour away.

Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 02-04-2024, 07:41 AM.
                            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

The rear brake master cylinder didn't work when I tested it, but it was bought as a used part and the best thing is to rebuild it to know what you have. Ordered a kit for it and today is the day to see what is inside.

A bit of gunge and a stuck piston.

Master 3 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

master 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Master 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Didn't want to damage the bore when trying to remove the stuck piston so made a plunger from a toothbrush that was the perfect size to fit inside the bore. Tapped the plunger a few times with a spanner and the piston started to free up and slowly worked its way out with help from the spring. Got lucky there, sometimes the corrosion damages the bore to the point the seals can't do what seals should do and the cylinder is a right-off.

Master 7 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Master 8 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Master 9 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                              Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 02-05-2024, 03:49 AM.
                              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Lucky the bore is in good condition with no pitting or scratches so it should be O.K. once the new kit is installed.

Master 10 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Cleaned the bore, applied some brake fluid to the bore and seals and put it back together. So far,so good.

Master 4 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Master 5 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                                Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 02-05-2024, 03:42 AM.
                                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Working...
                                X