Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    An F-15 with a tail hook?!?
    Yep, except for the Streak Eagle, all variants of the F15 have a tail hook for land based cable recovery when needed or in training.
    Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
    Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post

Yep, except for the Streak Eagle, all variants of the F15 have a tail hook for land based cable recovery when needed or in training.
      That is news to me. As long as you don't try and tell me about any carrier-based F-15s. Although, theoretically, it should be possible. Call the Air Force!

You got any? If we can let Saudi Arabia have them, I know Australia qualifies. Now if only we could situate you in between Taiwan and mainland China. Call the...?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

That is news to me. As long as you don't try and tell me about any carrier-based F-15s. Although, theoretically, it should be possible. Call the Air Force!

You got any? If we can let Saudi Arabia have them, I know Australia qualifies. Now if only we could situate you in between Taiwan and mainland China. Call the...?
        Yeah nar, Australia went with the F18 instead of the F15.
        Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 07-10-2024, 08:30 AM.
        Shin-Ken 1074
        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Since fitting the GSX 1135 EF OEM oil cooler I have been monitoring the oil temp using a digital gauge and so far so good. The 1135 EF OEM front guard has a deflector fitted as stock however, the 1981 SZ Katana 1100 front guard does not have a deflector so I have been curious to know about the air flowing around the Kat guard to the oil cooler as the oil cooler is behind the guard and not positioned higher up in the air stream. Using a fan and thin paper strips for streamers I have cobbled together a very, very basic air flow rig to see what is happening.

Interesting result with the streamers, the boundary layer on the guard has the air hugging the guard and almost no air flow leaving the guard surface and going to the cooler as the flat streamers show.

The DIY deflector in the cowl is working well to direct air to the cooler and the Daytona fork brace which has a two deflectors in its design, is also working well to direct air into the cooler as the streamers show in this very crude test.

Oil cooler 81 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Oil cooler 82 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
          Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 07-16-2024, 05:25 AM.
          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

One of the jobs I'd like to start this weekend is swapping the OEM Nissin front brake res for a lighter Brembo res. The Brembo res is not supplied with a bracket but that isn't an issue as it allows me to make a bracket and I have a cunning plan for the bracket.

Nissin Res by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

The res swap is done and dusted. The Brembo res including the DIY bracket, hose, clips, bolts, washers and brake fluid came in at 77% lighter than the Nissin res assembly, 152 g is a pretty good weight saving for a small part like the front res.

The Nissin res = 198 g.

Brembo res = 46 g.

Front res 1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Front res 2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Running tally = 183,062 grams.
              Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 07-28-2024, 12:22 AM.
              Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

I wasn't happy with the 6mm allen bolt holding the new front brake res, it just didn't look right, and if it doesn't look right it isn't right. Swapped it for a 5mm allen bolt, much better and as a bonus it is almost half the weight of the 6mm.

Front res M6 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Front res M5 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Running tally = 183,059 grams.
                Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 07-28-2024, 08:58 AM.
                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Comparing the photos you are right.
                  Obviously a small thing but your eye would have been drawn to it.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Comparing the photos you are right.
                    Obviously a small thing but your eye would have been drawn to it.
                    Yes, as soon as I bolted it on I knew it had to be swapped for a 5mm.
                    Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

The light weight Brembo res is supported by a bracket I made from 2.5mm stainless steel rod, strong enough to do the job and not look too industrial, keep it tidy and very light! I made the top of the bracket with a slot to allow for adjustment and some wiggle room if needed when positioning the res. The Kat is on the sidestand, hence brake fluid level in the pic.

Front res 3 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr
                      Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 07-29-2024, 05:03 AM.
                      Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

A friend came up an interesting suggestion for the electrics that would delete the GSX1150EF igniter, saving weight and one less electric component to worry about. His idea was to install a Dyna S pick up set and after this is installed the igniter can be removed. Sounds like a win!

With the GSX1150 EF engine installed in my Kat frame I had made an aluminium bracket to fit the EF igniter to the Kat however, if the Dyna S pick ups are used the bracket and igniter can be deleted, now its a win,win!

Has someone here done this mod to their GS and were you happy with the mod?

Dyna Sjpg by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

EF igniterjpg by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Igniter bracket by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Max, fitted the Dynamic S to my Kat. It’s a piece of cake to fit and set up timing.Very happy with it.
                          Cheers, Rob.
                          1983 GSX1000SD Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Rob View Post
                            Max, fitted the Dynamic S to my Kat. It’s a piece of cake to fit and set up timing.Very happy with it.
                            Cheers, Rob.
                            Thanks Rob, good to hear it works as advertised.

Cheers mate.
                            Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

There may not be any big ticket items left to modify or delete to save weight however, there is always something that can be worked on. This week it is the seat pad.

This is the first version for the seat pad and although light it could be lighter.

Seatpad1 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

The second version, 103 grams lighter.

Seatpad2 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

The lighter seat pad installed.

Seatpad3jpg by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Seatpad4 by Max Mutarn, on Flickr

Running tally = 182,956 grams.

Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
                                Running tally = 182,956 grams.

With you on?
                                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                                X